Quadra-Fire Voyageur - anyone have this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Dec 9, 2010
Southern Indiana
I'm interested in this model but have not seen any actual owner reviews. Does anyone have this unit? If so, what are your thoughts? I know Quadra-Fire products are normally pretty good (at least that's what I've gathered from the reviews I've read), but since this is a new model I guess the jury's still out.

Thanks for any feedback!

Pat

I too searched the net to find reviews on the Voyageur but found none. However, based upon what I read and heard about other Quadra-Fire wood stoves I bit the bullet and purchased two of them. These units were perfect for my application -existing zero clearance fireplaces and esthetics to compliment finish treatments. They were installed last Tuesday. My initial thought was to have these as a backup source for power outages. My natural gas service is inadequate for a whole house generator but removing my furnaces from the equation would allow for everything else to be run adequately with a smaller generator.

I have been running these stoves on nothing but low for a week now am very impressed with the heat that they put out. It has been mild here in Seattle (mid to high 30's at night) but our gas furnaces have not come on at all. Our home is 4,600 square feet and last night we had to open doors to drop the temp from 75.

Some thoughts on the units. Very well made, simple beautiful castings with a large viewing area. Glass stays perfectly clean as long as the wood is dry! Dual air controls take a little to get used to (the manual could be worded better for clarity) but once figured out work simply and beautifully. I have mostly used fir and am able to go 8 hours with a good bed of coals to stoke in the morning. I am interested to find out how long a denser wood would burn in these stoves.

I know my experience only spans a week, but very impressed so far. My wife and I have decided we really like the feel of wood heat and enjoy the warmer temps than we would usually set with our gas furnaces. I am now figuring out how I can prepare better for next years heat! Thanks to those on this forum that share their experience.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the review. It was very helpful. I'm strongly leaning towards this model (like the large view area and look), but need to make a decision by tomorrow if I want any chance of getting in on the tax credit.

I have a few other questions. How loud is the fan? Fan noise seems to be a common complaint with inserts, which is why I ask. Also, you mentioned that the dual air controls take a little getting use to. I've never had a wood stove or insert before (this would be my first) but I gather dual air control is not a common feature. Is this a more complicated stove to operate than others? I know if it's too complicated my wife won't want to use it. So I hope not. Also, would you mind posting some pictures? My local Quadra-Fire dealer doesn't have one on display, and the only pictures I've seen of it are the ones on Quadra-Fires website. If I end up buying it, it will be sight-unseen (like you did) which makes me a little nervous given the cost.

Thanks again for the feedback. Sounds like a good unit. The other options I'm considering are the Jotul 550, VC Merrimack, and VC Montpelier. My QF dealer, who also sells VC, thought the QF would be better (assuming it performed as well as QF's others inserts). The Jotul 550 looks like a good unit also, although with somewhat smaller view area. Installed cost is about the same for all ($3800-$3900). It's a tough decision!

Pat

Pat,

I liked Jotuls as well, but couldn't fit any of their larger inserts into my openings. Looked at the VC Montpelier as well but it is a cast box vs. steel box was told by the dealer that I couldn't use them in my zero clearance fireboxes. All that aside, I liked the look and the reputation of the Quadra-Fire.

Fan noise, barely noticeable on low. The fan has a rheostat control so it switches full on and like a dimmer switch is variable from there. Also has an auto/manual thermal switch which I have yet to use. The low fan setting seems very effective in moving the heat around in our house.

The dual air controls are not complex at all. It's just that the manual could be simplified to read much more clearly. The bottom control (start up air) is pushed full in for maximum continuous start up air. The second feature is so so nice.. you can push this control in and then pull it straight out and leave it. This starts a timer that gives full start up air initially and slowly shuts it down over 20-25 minutes automatically. This is what I have been using most often. Another feature of this bottom control is that you can lift the lever straight up (from the pulled out position) and this overrides the auto shut down feature immediately (great for when the fire is a little too boisterous). The top control is real simple. All the way up will give you the hottest fire and all the way down the slowest burning. It can be adjusted anywhere in between. My wife has been reloading as well. She pushes the bottom control straight in and pulls it straight out, lifts the top control all the way up so that the stove is being fed maximum air, opens the door (no smoke at all with a healthy load of coals), puts in the wood, shuts the door and pulls the top control all the way down to the bottom position for the slow burn. As easy as that.

I would be happy to send you pictures over later tonight. It may be easier for me to e-mail them if that works for you.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.