Quadrafire 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malhaley

Jan 21, 2012
eastern ct
I have an older Quadrafire 1200.I had a problem with one of the baffle plates. Namely, one of the inside hooks that hang it in front of the heat exchanger tubes broke off. I ordered a replacement from Quadrafire and received it yesterday. The plate I received is not identical to what I have. The top right hand corner of the plate is cut off at about a 45 degree angle. This will expose a small portion of the heat exchanger tubes. I sent an e-mail to Quadrafire about this problem and am awaiting a reply. My question is whether the plate can be used as is or if this heat exchanger exposure creates any sort of possible problem ( fire risk...etc) such that I should try to exchange it?

Thanks for any help anyone might give me.

Tom

Possibly warp the tube if it's really roaring.

Hello Tom,

My Quad has a single baffle plate, so I can't speak specifically to your CB model that has split baffles. But it looks like Quad changed the 1200 baffle design for stoves with serial numbers 361969 and above, so you should check your rating plate and confirm your serial number. The baffle design certainly affects the air flow and heat distribution through the firebox, so I would make sure you have the correct one for your older model. http://woodheatstoves.com/quadrafire-pellet-parts-cb1200-pellet-stove-c-193_751_633.html

Last year there were several 1200 and 1200i owners who posted about problems with one or more of their heat exchanger tubes getting separated at the front bulkhead and exposing where the tube joins to the back of the heat exchanger pathway, allowing firebox smoke to be pulled into the heat exchanger tube and then blown out into the room. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/heat-exchanger-tubes-keep-falling-down.138769/

I don't know if Quad has ever officially addressed this problem, that seems to be unique to 1200 models, or its possible causes. But overheating / heat warp issues to the exchanger tubes would be suspect, as would possibly pulling the exchanger tube cleaning rods when the stove is hot.

Regardless of the cause, definitely not a good thing to have happening to your stove. Not saying you'll have that problem with yours, but all the more reason, IMO to make sure you have the correct baffle plates in your 1200 to minimize possible overheating issues.

Regards, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kappel15
Status
Not open for further replies.