Quadrafire 7100 Smokes in operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
I purchased a Quadrafire 7100 ZC fireplace in 2013 and short of some small hiccups, it has been a good stove. Earlier this week, I started smelling smoke out from the blower vents. Its not strong but it is prevalent. I burn 24/7 in the winter.

I cleaned out the firebox and removed the fire bricks and did a thorough inspection. There were two small sections missing a weld at the back of the firebox but I suspect it was not a continuous weld and was not welded there. Could be wrong. I opened the steel plated panel to the dual fan set-up underneath firebricks and checked the seal. The seal material was well in tact and looked functional.

The stove drafts real well. I left one door cracked open with the fan off to get the smokiness to go away. Admittedly, the door gaskets are old and need to be replaced. I plan to do that first although I never smelled smoke from the doors. Chimney is clear and there is no obstruction at the cap.

Could this be a compromised firebox? Crack or cracked weld somewhere that I didn't find? I would think the smoke would make its way through the old door gasket before it would go out a small crack from the steel casing. Any thoughts short of hiring a technician?

-Chris

Start with the easiest first and replace the door gasket. I smell smoke when it's time to replace my door gasket. If that doesn't do it then look into it further.

I will see if I can get a gasket from the local fireplace store in the morning and get it replaced. Hopefully that is all it is. I have needed to do this anyways. No smoke is coming out around the insulated enclosure. I left the wall accessible from the back so I could get to it if needed.

In reality, the fan blows around the steel firebox and that is where the smoke seems to be coming from. I really wonder if the seal from the firebox to the fan area is degraded. If the seal doesn't do it, then it seems like a crack in the firebox as the most likely causes.

-Chris

Sounds like a compromised firebox to me...esp if to smoke odor stops when the blowers is turned off.

Update:

I tried to speak with Quadrafire but they work exclusively through the retailers now. Kinda stinks. So, I spoke to a capable technician locally and he spoke with Quadrafire. Told me a bunch of things to try, then blamed the old gasket. They did say a crack in the firebox is possible.

I cleaned the whole thing out again. Took off the front cover, removed the fire brick, took out the secondary tubes, and insulation so the flu was wide open. I took the flashlight around and saw some suspect areas so I stuffed them with insulation. I put in the floor fire bricks and burned a smaller fire. No smoke. I put the whole thing back together and burned a hot one. No smoke. Same gasket. Still waiting on the replacement to come.

I think it is the firebox but probably have to do some trial and error this spring when heat demand is less but still burning. The firebox is a lifetime limited warranty so we will see. I don't know what else it could be.

-Chris

I want to close out this thread so my learnings are recorded. I'm quite certain my smoking issues was a door sealing issue. I noticed the screws holding the glass in place had gotten loose over time probably with thermal cycling. The glass had shifted slightly leaving it not in contact with the gasket, slightly in one corner. I repositioned the glass to set against the gasket and tightened the screws. I did that along with all they other things I mentioned before like packing some insulation in suspect spots in the firebox.

I didn't figure it would be the door because the smoke seemed to be coming from the blower opening but then realized the smoke can travel up and behind the front cover making it appear as if it is coming from the blower opening. It is much more likely the glass mispositioned issue. Just wanted to inform and close the thread. Thanks for the input. Glad I am back in biz.

-Chris

Reactions: Inquisitive_Floof
I want to close out this thread so my learnings are recorded. I'm quite certain my smoking issues was a door sealing issue. I noticed the screws holding the glass in place had gotten loose over time probably with thermal cycling. The glass had shifted slightly leaving it not in contact with the gasket, slightly in one corner. I repositioned the glass to set against the gasket and tightened the screws. I did that along with all they other things I mentioned before like packing some insulation in suspect spots in the firebox.

I didn't figure it would be the door because the smoke seemed to be coming from the blower opening but then realized the smoke can travel up and behind the front cover making it appear as if it is coming from the blower opening. It is much more likely the glass mispositioned issue. Just wanted to inform and close the thread. Thanks for the input. Glad I am back in biz.

-Chris
Thank you for following up with the good news!

Currently going through the same thing with my 7100fp.

I have both the door AND glass gaskets. Just haven't yet gotten a chance to swap them out...perhaps this weekend.

Reactions: savageactor7