Quadrafire Castile Flame Adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlrobinhood

Jan 16, 2010
Northern MT
Hi all,

I recently bought a used Castile unit and it works great. No complaints. I downloaded the manual and am learning everything about it. One thing I noticed though is the flame adjustment rod is missing. Its supposed to be in the hopper and its simply not there. The wingnut and clip thing are there, but nothing else. See the attached photos.

It burns fine as it is, so I'm not really disappointed, but was wondering how the adjustment worked? Could someone post some photos for me of theirs? I'm wondering if the flame adjustment rod slides a plate up/down over the opening to the auger. I noticed there are two screws above this opening on mine and I'm thinking there might be a plate that should go there too.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 538
I'm guessing this is what your missing.

P. 39 in owners manual, figure 1 (exploded parts diagram).....part # 64 "Feed Adjustment Plate"

P. 22....Fig. 22.2 and 22.3 shows the rod & how to adjust

I have a Castile insert and these pictures look different than mine so yours must be a freestanding one. Right? Very nice pictures, by the way. If no one with a freestanding unit posts pictures, I'll let mine run down and get some shots for you although it won't be quite right. At least the general idea will come through.

You are missing the plate, screw and rod. The rod connects to the plate that covers the opening above the auger. In the first pic the one screw hole by itself holds the slotted plate. The plate slides back and forth on the rails on either side of the auger opening regulating the amount of pellets dropping into the auger. hths

HI all,

Thanks for all the info. I think you're all right! No need to take any photos for me tnj as I think I'm only missing the three parts. Macman, thanks again for the advice you gave me in another thread.

Have a great weekend.

rlrobinhood said:
HI all,

Thanks for all the info. I think you're all right! No need to take any photos for me tnj as I think I'm only missing the three parts. Macman, thanks again for the advice you gave me in another thread.

Have a great weekend.

Your welcome!

Yes you are missing some parts. I would take a picture but I am out of Castiles right now and the Santa Fe is full of pellets and the one on the floor is an insert and hard to see the parts. I can order you the parts. I can be reached at 330-448-0300 Eric.

P.S. Macman, you look a little thirty, head the the backroom and help yourself to some cool water or Bud Light.

Eric

They probably removed it b/c they were running the stove with he plate wide open. I am just now running a Santa Fe that is new to me with a March 2005 date on the plate. I adjusted mine to wide open to get it to burn properly.

Wow, you stole that Sante Fe for $400.

kinsman stoves said:
Yes you are missing some parts. I would take a picture but I am out of Castiles right now and the Santa Fe is full of pellets and the one on the floor is an insert and hard to see the parts. I can order you the parts. I can be reached at 330-448-0300 Eric.

P.S. Macman, you look a little thirty, head the the backroom and help yourself to some cool water or Bud Light.

Eric

Hey Eric,

I sent you an email. Thanks.

tjnamtiw said:
Wow, you stole that Sante Fe for $400.

It turns out it was 3 yrs old and neglected - but looked good on the outside. Still happy with the purchase as I work my way through it and get it running 100%.

I run my castile with the feed adjustment closed all the way, and even wish I could close it a bit more. The recommendation from Quad Techs is to start with it open about 1/4" from closed all the way and then adjust from there. I am heating about 1500 sq ft 2 story on med....oil is only for hot water and backup heating.

I suggest you get the parts and do some experimenting.....good deal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.