Quadrafire Castile rope gasket question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryboymo

Feeling the Heat
Feb 24, 2010
W Central MO
I am new to the forum but have been lurking in the darkness while shopping looking for a good used unit to start out with. I stumbled onto an 06 Castile that was purchased winter of 07 with Mohogany porcelain, the log kit, horizontal pipe setup and marble tile base for $900.00. I was told it was only used for supplemental heat and it appears that way.

I cleaned it up according to the manual and some tips in here and noticed a rope gasket on the left side corner sealing the ceramic panel at the corner. This is the left side with me staring at the stove. The right side has no rope gasket on that corner of the ceramic panel and the fan is right behind that panel. I would assume that the right one would need the gasket to seal the exhaust and heat from skirting around the panel and right to the blower instead of the left where it appears it is sealing nothing.

The reason for this question is I have ran two types of pellets Rocky Mountain soft wood pellets and ozark hardwood pellets and the previous owner had the slide fully open in the hopper and I rarely had any flame above the fire pot. I called the dealer and wasn't clear if he got confused on which side of the stove I was talking about on the gasket but I think I did get confirmation that only one rope gasket is needed back there... but what side?

I was also instructed to go back to the rocky mountain pellets and set the pellet feed in the hopper to half way and unplug the stove for a minute rotate the knob in the control box one click so I get 5 flashes instead of the factory setting of 4 so I have 10% over factory feed setting. I did see some improvement moving the gasket to the right side or it seemed to make a difference. The 10% over feed made a huge difference and I can now get the flame up where it should be even on the hardwood pellets.

I have a clean out T and 3.5' vertical section of pipe with a 90 and then a 5' horizontal section with a lot of rise. I really need to add another 90 but could get away with one 45 and a 3' section to turn out past the side of the deck. The person from the stove store didn't think it would be a problem to build the pipe on out as long as I kept the rise going on and used two 45's if I did make another 90' turn.

Anyway enough gabbing... anyone know what side of the stove is supposed to have a 3/4" rope gasket. and has anyone had to turn the control module up to the "10% overfeed% setting to get enough burn?

It puts out a bunch more heat on medium and low than it used to now, that I do know. I tried to run it on low before and it would almost go out and I am sure in time it would have went out.

Any help learning would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

Bob

I've bought a new Castile last spring so I am not sure if there were changes if any from 2006 until then. That said my two rear panels are not ceramic, but I think cast iron, and yes I have rope gasket behind each panel. As I remember it is tucked into a small channel in the stove frame. My stove is running at the moment, but if you still need it when I clean the stove I will take a picture and post it. I would suggest you visit the Quadrafire web site and download a manual if you haven't already done so.
Also my feed adjustment plate (slider) located in the feed hopper is adjusted almost all the way forward on the screw. Seems you need to adjust this according to the pellets you are using, but I cannot imagine it all the way open.
Lastly once you get the stove running properly when on the low setting the fire will cycle up and down. Sometimes I thought the fire would go out. I used to think something was wrong myself, but the cycles are there on all three stove settings, but much more noticeable on the low setting. Your other setting which sounds like a control box setting I cannot advise you as my stove is still in warranty and the control box has never been opened, but I would call Quad and ask them what the factory setting was and reset to that! There are more than enough knowledgeable people on this forum to get you up and running so hang in there. Your going to like that stove!!!

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with your gasket question other then tell you to look at the owners manual and try to find a exploded view of your stove. The view would show you where gaskets are needed.

You comment about your stove not wanting to run on the factory control box setting is simmular to what happened with my stove when I first hooked it up used. I am using a local hardwood pellet and my stove would not run correctly using them. I tried the 10% boost feature on the control box also. My hooper setting was full open and the flame did get bigger. I ended up deciding that the pellet brand was causing the problem. I put my control box back (make sure you unplug the stove) to the factory setting and my hooper is now wide open. I now mix some Pennington pellets in with my hardwood pellets and the stove runs as it should. I do a 1/3 to 2/3 mix with the 2/3 being the hardwood. It might be worth a try for you. I tried just straight Pennington pellets and the difference in flame height and heat was just incredible. I could turn my hooper setting down some at this point but just have not done so. I run our stove mostly on the lowest setting almost all day without problems. If I turn the stove up to the highest setting the flame is really big. Again I would set the stove control back to the factory setting and try 1 bag of another pellet brand and see what you get.

Good luck.

Bkins

On my 2005 Castile I have the gaskets in both corners. I think you need both. That will controll where the exhaust vapors are channeled. Basically over the top of the back wall. Without the gasket it will pull the exhaust vapors in from the side, and your burn pot may be pulling in too much air. I would add the gasket, and I bet your problem will be solved. After adding the gasket I would return the control box back to a 3, start it up and see what happens. (The control box can be increased to add an addional 10% pellets to the burn pot, from the number 3 to a 4) The slide feed adjustment in the hopper should be between 1/4" to 1/2" out, you will no you have it burning correctly when the flame is no taller than 4 inches above the burn pot. Replace the gasket.

Also, That is a great price for your stove. Is the finish in good shape? I love my Castile, and this is my 5th year with it. I burn mine on medium most of the time. I see your from Missouri, I am from Iowa, What other types of pellets are available in your area? I have used the Rocky Mountains in my castile and they burn very well, low ash, high heat. We have fuel king where I live, and they are a hot pellet. Have you seen them? You shouldn't have a problem burning the Rocky mountains.

Here is what I have tried and liked:
1. Fuel king
2. Blazers
3. White Lightning
4. Rocky Mountains

I have tried other brands but these 4 burn great in my castile.

Make sure you keep your stove clean. I clean mine about every 2 days using the pellets listed above. I have cleaned it every day. It seems like the stove runs better with it clean.

I just had another thought about your problem. How is the "Tad Pole gasket" around the glass door? If not in good shape, i.e. fraying and falling apart, this will affect how your stove burns.

The door gasket is in like new shape on all three sides of course there is no gasket on the bottom for the air wash. The only area of concern I had other than the rope gasket on the fire block edge is the door for the ash pan does not shut tightly and has a rope gasket but the burn pot is right above there. The gasket looks like new and the door does not look like it can be adjusted. I did get a great deal on it and wow it really puts out the heat with softwood pellets and the fire up where it should be.

The clean out door latch can be taken apart and reassembled to fit tight.I put it back in this order. Large washer first then spacer,put thru hole on door,then spacer,cog and then the nut.Hope this works for you!

Your gasket issues aside, you STOLE that stove. I have two in the mahogany and they sit like a piece of furniture in their respected rooms! Best of luck with that find! Great stoves!

I will do the door latch fix and I did get the rope gasket added back like it used to be. I am in a testing phase now looking for the best pellet for the best money and am going to pick up some softwood pellets that are supposed to be better than the rocky mountain's for 200.00 a ton which seems to be a pretty good price. Speaking of price... yes I did get a really good job on the stove with the marble tile base and pipe and thimble that was thrown in the deal oh and the barely used log kit I got also. They had it advertised for 1k$$ and told me on the phone without me even asking that they would take 900. Got a new high efficiency heat pump/furnace and didn't want it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.