Quadrafire Classic 1200 Startup Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Socal73

Feb 23, 2017
Southern California
We have a Quadrafire classic 1200 that has gotten to where it will not automatically feed pellets, ONLY first thing in the mornings. I turn the thermostat to start it, it starts and runs but wont feed pellets. After pushing the reset button 10-15 times, it will finally feed. Once initially started, it will self regulate with thermostat properly all day long. Its just that initial startup.

Everything runs, call lights work, etc...just wont start feeding initially each morning. I replaced the auger last year, no issue there. Have pulled auger to verify no jams, etc... Dealer said most likely be a control box issue.

I'd like to replace the control box myself, just wondering if thats the most likely culprit as the root cause of my issue. They said it could be temp limit switches but two dealers said control board - (this is via phone, without seeing the unit). No one will service in our area so I'm stuck ordering parts and hoping I get it right.

Any ideas? Thanks

Just for giggles, try jumping the vac switch wires together(making sure not to ground them out on the stove anywhere), then try that first thing in the morning start, and let us know. kap

Perhaps the motor needs some fresh lube. The bearings may be stiff until it runs a bit, or tries to enough times.

Perhaps the motor needs some fresh lube. The bearings may be stiff until it runs a bit, or tries to enough times.

He said it was a new motor last year, and they are sealed. kap

Just for giggles, try jumping the vac switch wires together(making sure not to ground them out on the stove anywhere), then try that first thing in the morning start, and let us know. kap
kap knows his Quadrafires so try his suggestion first before putting the big money down for the control box. Many folks set up "jumper wire" using a piece of wire with appropriate spade connectors on each end ... just unplug when working in the cabinet. Like kap said, careful that wire doesn't have the potential to ground out.

Reactions: kappel15
Again like Kap said....... he's the MAN
I have a Qudrafire Mt Vernon (old style) and my vacuum tube that goes to the vac switch has a tendency to get pellet dust in it preventing vacuum to actuate the vac switch. If you put the jumper on the vac switch and it fires right up this is probably the culprit. Its a good idea to give a shot of air thru the tube every spring at end of season cleanout time.

jeff

Reactions: kappel15