QuadraFire Classicbay 1200 window gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek C

Oct 26, 2012
Hi,
I have a four year old Classic bay 1200. At the end of the season my air switch got clogged and the entire fire pot filled with ignited pellets causing quit a large flame. I looked over the stove to check for damage and noticed that the top of the three panels of glass did not have any gasket on them. the door panels that is. I was wondering if the door glass is not supposed to be gasketed on the top or did the excessive amout of flame burn it out. I went and got some new glass gasket and resealed the glass. on all four sides. Now the pellet stove flame barely leaves the fire pot and it is extreamly ashy with larger clumps of ash (not clinkers). Thank you

Top is the air wash. Its supposed to NOT have Gasket material.

You have a low flame because there is Too Much Air.

Please remove it before you cause the glass to break (yes, it happens). The air wash brings room temp (cooler) air across it. Cleaning and cooling it.

The pot probably filled with pellets because the stove short cycled. It kicked back on before cooling all the way down.

If the thermocouple does not drop below 200° (just because stove shut down doesn't mean the T/C is below 200°) the stove will start up and do its standard Pot fill (90 sec Auger on time) then instead of waiting to ignite (T/C waits to see 200° before starting auger feed again) the stove thinks its APREADY LIT. So it starts turning the auger before ignition. That's why the pot fills up WAY MORE than usual. So when it does ignite, its an Inferno!

Running a digital t-stat with a minimum of 3°-4° swing is best. Keepz the stove off long enough to cool down. What stat are you using??

Please remove the gasket material from the top portion of the glass.

I will remove the gasket on the top of the glass. I hate to sound to confused but remove the gasket from the top of all three glass panels correct? I am just running the manual T stat that came with the unit. I do need to get a programable on though. Could you explain what the swing means? I've seen that mentioned in other places as well. Also with the to much air for the low flame does that mean I'm getting air from some place else? Could gasketing off the air wash be choking the fire out. Thanks again

Yes. Remove all 3 tops

The swing referrs to the stat on and off. A 4° swing on my Skytech is 2° each way from set-point. If set at 70°… It will turn on at 68° and turn off at 72°…

A larger swing causes the stove to run longer but it will stay off longer. No short cycling.

As for the air. So much air is coming in, it is causing a short blowtorch flame. If you have a set of torches and open the Oxygen, it makes the flame faster and shorter. Decreasing the air, will cause a long and lazy flame.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.