1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Quadrafire Isle Royale installed!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Trilifter7, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Took advantage of the nice day we had saterday before the storm and installed the new stove! Not many pics of during but nothing exciting, just rolled it in on a dolly and lifted it off the crate. Got the new double wall pipe in and 3 screws in every joint and seam. Smoked up the house pretty good on the first two small fires burnt the oil off the griddle. Pretty happy overall and everything looks fairly clean. Still waiting on the warming shelves, They should be in on Monday.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TriMom

TriMom New Member

Looks great!
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  3. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    My dealer has this stove installed in the showroom with warming shelves but she has never had a fire in it. Without the warming shelves I think the stove looks naked:eek: It also needs to come in more colors than black or the porcelain brown, not really sure what its called, but you can never go wrong with plain black
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Wow! Beautiful stove and hearth. It reminds me a little of my little Hampton.
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  5. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Thanks guys! Yea I agree with you lopiliberty, it def looks better with the warming shelves. I'll add the pics in here when I put them on.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

That's a beautiful stove and Hearth...

Congrats and enjoy the heat. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Quad over the VC.
  7. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I'll keep you posted as I use it but its not a very good comparison bc my resolute was an older pre EPA stove. Plus the VC was a 2 cu ft box where the IR has a 3 cu ft box. So far I can say the IR def belts out some heat! Had it up to 600 earlier tonight from some oak pallets I cut up. Going to have to be careful with that stuff!
  8. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    Looks looks a nice straight install. I'm glad you got it now so you can try it out while it's still cold.​
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  9. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Now thats a nice looking set up
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  10. Nocattom

Nocattom New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    Wow! Looks great . Fits in nice to the space.
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  11. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Yea that's one reason I'm actually glad this weather is still around! Lol
  12. Johnpolk

Johnpolk Member

Beautiful looking stove. My wife and I love ours, so I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I would like to see it with the warming shelves as well
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  13. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Congrats. We love ours! Great stove and throws a lot of heat. Enjoy.
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  14. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I think that is one of the sexiest stoves on the market, but I might be a little biased.;)
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  15. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Be warned about maintenance issues. This year is the second time that I had to tap the pin back down on a door hinge. Twice in 11 years. Something to keep an eye on.:p
    Don Williams likes this.
  16. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Haha, yea I will def keep an eye on that.
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Love that classic, it's one of my favorite stoves. Enjoy that big boy's radiant heat.
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  18. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Thanks BG, I already am. There's still a slight learning curve from how the old smoke dragon ran but I'm getting the hang of it.
  19. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Just curious what you guys consider normal operating temps? So far it's been running up to 600 with a fairly small load of maybe 3-4 small to medium size splits. I've been closing the startup air supply shortly after the load gets going and turning the primary air all the way down once the stove top gets to around 400. Also, I put my condar temp gauge on the top of the stove just behind the griddle lid, is this a good place to measure temps on the stove top? I'm getting the hang of it, just wondering what you guys have found works best.
  20. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Most folks report that this stove likes to cruise around 600-700F with a few reporting even higher norms. It is a willing heater.
  21. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I run mine 550 to 650 most of the time. Some weird looking gnarly oak this morning jumped up to 700 but then settled back down to 650. For the thermometer, I put mine on the griddle--a little left of center. There's quite a bit of variation on the stovetop for temps. I think behind the griddle may run pretty cool, especially off to the sides, but I'll run my Infra red thermometer on it if I remember for this evening's fire.

I don't start shutting the air down until 500-550, but every chimney setup is a little different for control.
  22. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Northwinds is darn near emulating my operation. Oh - and get used to 650F. This thing ain't no sissy soap stone.>>
    begreen and Trilifter7 like this.
  23. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Thanks BG and Northwinds! I just loaded it a little over half full so we'll see. I shut the air down when the center of the griddle red 400 with my IR gun. My temp gauge is right on top between the flue and the griddle. It was at about 325 when the griddle red 400 so it does seem to be a little cooler there. I might move it after I play around with it for a few. It def belts the heat Jags!
    image.jpg image.jpg
  24. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Wait till your not afraid of hurting it and walk away to find the thermo pointing at 750F._g;lol
    begreen and lopiliberty like this.
  25. Trilifter7

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Well if I was going by griddle top temp my IR gun shows 825!! Where The temp gauge is reads 700 and my IR gun confirmed this. I checked the doors, ash pan and griddle gaskets and they all seem good and tight. I doubt I have excessive draft, not sure why it is getting so high. My only thought right now is a flue damper?