Quadrafire Mt Vernon Installation/Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gjwiepz

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2008
Dunkirk WI
To All:

I am installing a Quad MV and have been told different options for the venting. Pretty much my only option is to direct vent onto an open porch(8ftx20ft) that is made of concrete and has a shed roof starting at 8 ft at the wall where the vent would be. After calling several dealers, most of which felt that it was OK, I still have mixed feelings about this vent. It will be about 8ft from the open side of the porch, 6ft from the long edge and about 10ft from the adjoining house wall. Should I go vertical 3-5ft, do I need to go through the porch roof and the 2nd floor eave?

I get the impression that it should be safe as a direct vent but I just want to make sure.

Also, I am building my own pad with 3/4 ply, 1/2 Duroc/hardiboard and slate tile with a wood trim with or without a 4-6in pedestal. Screws only on the perimeter. OK??

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

As far as hearth pad goes you are fine as long as the tiles are grouted. That stove calls for fireproof flooring, thermal barrier is not needed.
As far as venting onto an oped porch, I wouldn't do it. You are asking for a sooting problem at the very least. Definateley go up thru the porch roof, and if you are going to end up with 15+ feet of pipe, go with 4" diameter.

Thanks for the reply.

We will be placing the stove on another wall where I can vent up and then through the wall and terminate horizontally. Would it be better to turn up again to get more vertical rise or finish horz?

Thanks for all the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.