Quadrafire Santa Fe B-1 (2007) Problems, smoked and now blinking blue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best thing to do with hot ashes.

Was exhaust fan running the whole time?

The pipe goes horizontal thru an outside wall. The pipe goes straight outside, about a foot from the house it bends down.

Hey Kap, in the original post, she said she dug her hand into the combusion blower area to try to clean it and cleaned the pipe from the outside only, which means she could have pushed ash INTO the fan area. She says it spins but ........... it may not take much when the fan tries to turn to stall it out. Also, it doesn't take much to bend those blades and unbalance the fan > noise.
Like you, it's hard to believe there's not #2 disk. Both of my 2007's have them. One on the side of the box (Castile) and one on the drop chute (Sante Fe). Her manual says it is also on the back of the drop chute and has orange wires. She might be looking at where it used to be on older models (on the side of the box) hence the piece of sheet metal over the hole.

Last edited:
Exhaust fan was running, but sounded strained. There wasn't much smoke coming from the pipe (there's a window nearby and usually we get a lot of smoke coming out the pipe) from what I could see, but it's dark outside.

I could replace the exhaust fan, clean the pipe again and try again in the morning.

I imagine #2 serves as a safety?? Think I should/could take this up with Quadrafire? (not that they'd answer...)

When it cools down, I can go back and vacuum behind the right baffle. I don't know how to clean beyond that little area, tho if I take the fan out, I imagine I could get to it a lot better.

Sounds like everything is running, but she needs to find that #2 snap disc on the drop chute. Trying to remember if they combined #2 and #3 together at one point. Where is your #3 tj?

I imagine #2 serves as a safety?? Think I should/could take this up with Quadrafire? (not that they'd answer...)
#2 shuts the feed auger off if fire tries to back up the drop chute.

You still need to tell us what configuration you have for exhaust. Straight out, out and up? Clean out T on bottom?

Exhaust pipe goes straight out the outside wall. About a foot from the side of the house it bends down.

What is a clean out T? I don't think I have that. It's like a J counter-clockwise 45 degrees.

#2 shuts the feed auger off if fire tries to back up the drop chute.

Well I don't feel too safe that I don't have that feature :(

Have you ever cleaned the pipe from the outside? With a brush and the exhaust fan running? Or with a shop vac?

If all exhaust path is clear, I am thinking it is time for that new exhaust fan you have. Esp. if the old one is sounding tired. kap

Our house is built on a deck, so it's high off the ground. The pellet stove vents straight out, but outside it's like 1 floor up. I cleaned it from outside but I'm thinking I should have got a ladder so that I could see into it better, make sure I got it all.

Well that's better than the whole slew of parts I thought I fried :)

Stove works, just can't get rid of smoke it seems.

missing_snap_disc_2.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/v9e7mylt9/

Seeing if my pic shows up. Sorry so blurry, it's real dark in that area.

I'll see how rambuctuous I am and how far I get in installing the new fan, maybe tonight?? It's 20 degrees outside so I'll probably wait until the exterior pipe until tomorrow.

With a brush and the exhaust fan running? Or with a shop vac?

I missed this part. I've only used a brush. I'll try a shop vac tomorrow.

Dumb question, there's snow outside, can I place the shop vac on the snow or should I get plywood or something to put it on, probably safer.

Now, I didn't know I could/should have the exhaust fan running. I should plug it in but keep the temp on OFF position?? Trying to figure that out...

excuse me for butting in, but i was wondering something related to what tjnamtiw mentioned about ash in the exhaust duct area.has that combustion motor ever been removed and the exhaust duct cleaned?
if not, there could be a good deal of build up not only on the fins, but in the whole area.

some people pull the blower every ton. i do it once a year.
i'm not sure how or if this relates to your issues, but it is an important part of maintenance.

the CB1200 uses the same motor as my stove, but i imagine the santa fe also has a gasket for the blower, and that needs to be replaced when reinstalling the motor.

hoping all good success for you, having a quad tech like kappel helping is a good great thing too.

Reactions: kappel15
Having the exhaust fan run while you brush the pipe, helps blow the ash out. To turn exhaust fan on, just turn thermostat up and off real fast and just the exhaust fan will run. If you have a brush, you won't need the shop vac. kap

excuse me for butting in, but i was wondering something related to what tjnamtiw mentioned about ash in the exhaust duct area.has that combustion motor ever been removed and the exhaust duct cleaned?
if not, there could be a good deal of build up not only on the fins, but in the whole area.

some people pull the blower every ton. i do it once a year.
i'm not sure how or if this relates to your issues, but it is an important part of maintenance.

the CB1200 uses the same motor as my stove, but i imagine the santa fe also has a gasket for the blower, and that needs to be replaced when reinstalling the motor.

hoping all good success for you, having a quad tech like kappel helping is a good great thing too.
Quad recommends once a year after season

Reactions: St_Earl
St Earl, I think you're right. I've probably been unknowingly pushing ash further into the stove all these years.

I'll check the box, I'm pretty sure it has a gasket if needed, but I'll double check.

Kappel is a billion times more helpful than both the stove shop and the manual.

Make sure you unplug stove before you tackle replacing the exhaust fan. And read up on it in the manual and there might be a video on it. Time for me to call it an evening folks. I can be on first thing in the morning for a little bit, but will be working all day. Hopefully others like St. Earl and tj and DMK,lakegirl, can help you in my absences. kap

I thought I was cleaning the outside pipe, once a year, some years twice. But I really think I wasn't doing it correctly. The manual is very vague, tell you to do it but not how.

Status
Not open for further replies.