QuadraFire Wont Run Automatically

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grock

Dec 8, 2013
Wyoming
My quadrafire CB1200 wont stay running by itself. I have to turn the thermostat down and then up to get it to turn on. It will stay running until the room heats up, but then it will never turn back on again no matter how cold it gets. I thought it was the thermostat and changed it but it keeps happening, then I replaced it again with a quadrafire brand thermostat, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is not the thermostat. It sounds like snap switch #1 may be dieing and getting stuck in the open position once it gets up to temperature. Or the stove could be getting too hot and the high limit snap switch #2 is opening up to protect the stove.

The call light will tell you if your thermostat is working. It will be lit when the stove sees the thermostat calling for heat.

What settings is the stove on?

My quadrafire CB1200 wont stay running by itself. I have to turn the thermostat down

Before you turned it down, was the call light on? Were there unburned pellets in the burnpot?

and then up to get it to turn on. It will stay running until the room heats up, but then it will never turn back on again no matter how cold it gets. I thought it was the thermostat and changed it but it keeps happening, then I replaced it again with a quadrafire brand thermostat, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of two things happened:
1) The thermostat reached its set temperature and the stove shut down, but later failed to relight.

2) The stove was shut down by one of its safeties (vacuum switch or, like begreen said, snap disc #2) causing it to stop feeding. In this case, the thermostat never reached its set temperature.

It would help if you were in the room when it first shut down. I suspect you would see the auger just stop feeding while the call light remains on.

Meanwhile, ensure that the convection blower (room air fan) is clear of dust bunnies, pet hair, etc. Without airflow, the stove could be overheating (in your cold room) and triggering the snap disc.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. The last couple of days we had the lowest temp in the nation at -31 and my trailer is freezing. So I looked and the red call light is on but there are pellets in the pot. Im not sure where the convection blower is located. A few days ago I took off the little metal panel on the side and vacuumed that out, and cleaned the pot.

Have you cleaned out all the little holes in the burn pot (does the 1200 have the very small holes at the bottom front and at the base of the sloped section like the SanteFe?). Have you cleaned out the slot in the front for the igniter heat to go through? That could explain why you have unburned pellets in there. Also, is the igniter glowing nice and red?
You could also try throwing a small handful of extra pellets in the pot after the stove shuts off and before it tries to reignite. That will show you if it is dropping enough pellets on the start up. It could be that your auger capacitor is going and making the auger turn backwards part of the time, which would result in a small feed of initial pellets. This extra handful will tell you that answer. Let us know if this helps.
If it's that cold there, I'm assuming you have the feed gate open far enough to get a healthy flame on HIGH of about 6 to 8" high on average. Right?

I sat and watched it. It started up fine once. Then after it failed to start again, it dropped some pellets in and almost started, some of the pellets started to ignite but never quite did.

I sat and watched it. It started up fine once. Then after it failed to start again, it dropped some pellets in and almost started, some of the pellets started to ignite but never quite did.
It sounds like either you aren't getting enough airflow past the igniter or the igniter isn't getting hot enough.
For the first possible problem, it could be a cleanliness problem restricting airflow or you are bypassing the airflow. Is the bottom trap door hanging down too much? The gap between the door and the bottom of the burn pot should be no more than the thickness of a dime, preferably less. Is the burnpot loose or can you see indication of leaks around the pot like no ash near the edge (blown away by airflow). Leaking door gasket is another possibility. Stick a dollar bill between the door and frame, close the door, and see if it is hard to pull out the bill. If it slips right out, it's gasket changing time. I don't believe the door latch can be adjusted. (true???).
You should see a nice red igniter if it's OK.

It sounds like either you aren't getting enough airflow past the igniter or the igniter isn't getting hot enough.
For the first possible problem, it could be a cleanliness problem restricting airflow or you are bypassing the airflow. Is the bottom trap door hanging down too much? The gap between the door and the bottom of the burn pot should be no more than the thickness of a dime, preferably less. Is the burnpot loose or can you see indication of leaks around the pot like no ash near the edge (blown away by airflow). Leaking door gasket is another possibility. Stick a dollar bill between the door and frame, close the door, and see if it is hard to pull out the bill. If it slips right out, it's gasket changing time. I don't believe the door latch can be adjusted. (true???).
You should see a nice red igniter if it's OK.
The door latch can be tightened

Reactions: Jaymaine34
Just to be clear are you seeing the call for heat light on the stove when it fails ? What is the swing set ?
Also with a temp of - 31 I gotta know what your buring for pellets ? I assume this is a direct vent . Oak ?
Not saying any of these are your issue . Just trying to get a clear picture .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.