Quaker dilemma: great price on Englander vs "thee lives where?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Oh, gee, why did I have to see posts about the Englander NC30 for $649 if ordered via Watertown, NY?????

I went to the Watertown site, put the stove in my shopping cart, got out the credit card... and couldn't do it. Some of you use the term, "pull the trigger," which gives my nonviolent, peace-loving Quaker nature a major case of heebie-jeebies... So, for sure I couldn't do THAT. (By the way, I'd never seen that term before, and at first I thought it meant to get rid of an old smoke eater).

Anyway, while I'd dearly love to save money on an Englander for my dining room, I will wait a year or so, putting spare change in the sugar bowl, and add one when the time is right. I just can't bring myself to pretend that Watertown is my home store in order to get their price.

My actual home store in Pennsylvania has the stove at $999. I am headed up that way Friday. Maybe I'll stop in and see if they'd be willing to match Watertown's price. That I could live with. I'll report back with their answer.

Sidebar question: Does the Watertown store get a cut from the internet sales if the stoves are shipped from the factory to the buyer? Just curious.

Incidentally, I've been window shopping half a dozen stoves, and there are other, much more expensive stoves, that I fancy. Like the soapstones, some top-loaders, etc. But I keep coming back to the Englander. It's plain, simple, dressed in all black... What's not to love for a Quaker?

Nancy

I went to the Watertown store on President's day; they do not have any Englander 30 stoves left in stock. They had 3 or 4 Englander 13 models marked down to $519 right near the checkout counter, an employee said they were the only ones they had in stock. I didn't ask them if they could get more 30s at the advertised internet price.

Home Depot in my town is "blowing-out" several VL-17 and either a couple 30ies with gold doors or something similar.

VL-17 is a small stove, but for $513 or so is a few dollars less than internet prices.
Gotten a couple good reviews here and would be perfect for my shop.
Only thing stopping me is needing a chimney.
Am thinking buy the stove now, the price of steel isn't likely to drop and work on buying a chimney.

Curious of why you think it is somehow unethical to enter various zip codes to look at what other HD's are asking for their stoves. The HD website lets you set your home store as a convience to you when shopping on line. If you have a HD in your town and you travel to a different town and go in the HD there do you refuse to buy? Do you ever shop online with Amazon? They pull products from sources all over the country. When you order a stove on line from HD, do you think that they are not aware that you are quoting a price that is not in your home zip code? If they decide to offer you the same price as one of their other locations is it not their decision?
Maybe I'm missing something here?

Jbird

This is directly off of there website:

$649.00 /EA-Each
Ships FREE with $249.00 Order

This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): HI,AK

So I believe they know people from other states will be ordering this stove and if they had a problem with it they would rectify the situation on their website. besides that the stove is coming from a warehouse and chances are it's the same warehouse that yours could come from if you ordered it from your location and it had to be shipped in. I'm not trying to change your mind I just hate to see you spend more than necessary. If I keep thinking about this I might end up ordering one as it's a heck of a deal!

Our NC-13 is being delivered tomorrow and we ordered it on line referencing the Watertown prices. The stove is not being shipped from Watertown, it is being shipped from their warehouse in Virginia. It was their choice to
match the price for us. Most of your big stores have a long standing policy of matching prices from competitors so why would it be unusual to match prices with their own stores?

Just got my order confirmation email and it's for real 649.00 687.00 with tax free shipping. and no interest for 6 months. I'll have it paid off well before that.

WHOOO!! HOOOO!!!!! :cheese:

Boss just ordered one. That makes 3 NC-30's and 1 NC-13 all showing up in a week or two. Glad we have a forklift. And I for one, slept like a baby last night.

FYI: This is the last day for the free shipping promotion according to their website.

Home Depot should glad that this forum exists! They just sold (at least) several stoves over the past day or two thanks to this forum :p

Nancy,

Don't forget there is still a $500 maximum tax credit - at least for this year on stoves. That is computed, I think, on 30% of purchase/install up to a maximum of $500. So saving pennies in a cookie jar this year to purchase next year might not really save you that much. Just something to think about........

Shari said:
Nancy,

Don't forget there is still a $500 maximum tax credit - at least for this year on stoves. That is computed, I think, on 30% of purchase/install up to a maximum of $500. So saving pennies in a cookie jar this year to purchase next year might not really save you that much. Just something to think about........

Shari,

Are you saying there is still a 30% tax credit up to $500 for the 2011 tax year? If so I guess that's good news as I thought there were no tax credits this year.

Certified & BK -

Well, it could be only 10% up to a max of $500 - someone else with more knowledge feel free to jump in here as I'm not sure of the % - I do know it is max $500.

Last year it was 30% with $1,500 max.

Franks said:
Im 99% sure that it is 10% up to $300. But still worth taking a look at.

Franks, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. Let me clarify my statement: There is a tax credit still available for 2011. (end of my statement) :)

Thank you, one and all, for your very helpful comments.

I am 99% positive that the Home Depot website did not have the sale price when I looked, hence the foray onto the Watertown site.

Glad I mentioned this, because you guys make so much sense. Long story short: I just ordered the NC-30 from the HD website, at the sale price!

And, as I was filling out their customer survey, the phone rang and I was offered a job with the University of Michigan, which I was fairly certain I would get, but now it's a done deal. I'll be doing telephone surveys for their research department. I worked for them last year on another survey -- one that required travel in all kinds of weather. This one I can do in my jammies in front of my new stove!

So, goodbye sugar bowl, hello Englander.

Don't get me wrong; I still LOVE my Pleasant Hearth. I just don't like its basement location. However, with the new stove upstairs, the PH can do yeoman duty when I want to shoot pool or hang laundry down there. Or when it gets REALLY cold. I love the warm floors I get from it.

Wow! This is fun...

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:

Wow! This is fun...

Nancy

Oh, no! We've created a wood heat monster! :)

Good job, Nancy. I am still a bit jealous of that swing you have in the basement though. Any chance of you bringing that upstairs to 'swing' with your new Englander? :)

Shari said:
PopCrackleSnap said:

Wow! This is fun...

Nancy

Oh, no! We've created a wood heat monster! :)

Good job, Nancy. I am still a bit jealous of that swing you have in the basement though. Any chance of you bringing that upstairs to 'swing' with your new Englander? :)

Nah, Shari, the swing stays in the basement. That sure was a cozy place to read the Sunday paper and drink coffee these cold winter days. And the chair rotates 360 degrees, so I could face the fire or have it warm my back!

Nancy

Shari said:
Nancy,

Is this a new and separate tax credit? Or is it still looked upon as a form of a continuation to the previous program? I ask as I used up my $1500 tax credit the previous two years and I'm thinking about upgrading the Intrepid.

BrowningBAR said:
Shari said:
Nancy,

Is this a new and separate tax credit? Or is it still looked upon as a form of a continuation to the previous program? I ask as I used up my $1500 tax credit the previous two years and I'm thinking about upgrading the Intrepid.

BB - I don't know. We need the gurus to answer this.

Franks said:
Im 99% sure that it is 10% up to $300. But still worth taking a look at.

I was also told this, but if you used up all your $1500 Fed credit from the last two years you won't get nada.

Actually, since it just reactivates the old credit, if you have taken five hundred worth since 2003 you don't get squat.

It is all smoke, without any mirrors.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Oh, gee, why did I have to see posts about the Englander NC30 for $649 if ordered via Watertown, NY?????

I went to the Watertown site, put the stove in my shopping cart, got out the credit card... and couldn't do it. Some of you use the term, "pull the trigger," which gives my nonviolent, peace-loving Quaker nature a major case of heebie-jeebies... So, for sure I couldn't do THAT. (By the way, I'd never seen that term before, and at first I thought it meant to get rid of an old smoke eater).

Nancy

I'm sorry but I have to say something............That's just silly!

Yeah I wouldn't want to save money either :shut:

One thing about a pacifists ""The pen is mightier than the sword", but what happens when someone takes your pen?

You will definitely fit in at UofM Ann Arbor....... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.