Quaker dilemma: great price on Englander vs "thee lives where?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiram Maxim said:
You will definitely fit in at UofM Ann Arbor....... :roll:
=
Got a lot of people with a morals there do they Hiram?

Give it a break, If she feels like she is taking advantage of a mistake, that is her right. And I guarantee you that HD didn't intend for that hole to open in their online system.

BrotherBart said:
Actually, since it just reactivates the old credit, if you have taken five hundred worth since 2003 you don't get squat.

It is all smoke, without any mirrors.

That is, unfortunately, correct. This was taken from Woodstock's website:

"Another limit on the current tax credit is a maximum allowed credit of $500 that is retroactive to when the tax credit for energy efficiency was conceived. That is to say if a homeowner has used $500 or more of the credit anytime since 2006, that homeowner is not eligible to use the tax credit again."

BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:
You will definitely fit in at UofM Ann Arbor....... :roll:
=
Got a lot of people with a morals there do they Hiram?

Give it a break, If she feels like she is taking advantage of a mistake, that is her right. And I guarantee you that HD didn't intend for that hole to open in their online system.

No, but there are a bunch of weirdo flakes there! :cheese:

I really don't see how its a mistake?

Wouldn't the moral thing be that HD has the stove priced the same for everyone? Shouldn't that be a guarantee?

Is it unethical for a consumer to shop for the best price?

I guess I'm ridiculous for seeing the silliness in the whole thing?

What is funny, is that she came around so quickly! She posted, standing on her “high horseâ€, and less than 24 hrs, she went the way of the infidel! gotta love it.

Peace Out :)

I can understand the initial reservation about the "local" store change. I did it and posted about it. Sorry to cause a philosophical quandry. I too had similar reservations, so I phoned home depot prior to buying the NC-30 and asked if they would honor the price. They said that they would, of course. This allowed me the comfort of being above board, asking permission instead of forgiveness (silly me), even if they may not have intended to let this happen. Buying online this way is perfectly legal and does not violate man's law in any way, I still asked, however. I do not think that I would have purchased it if they would have told me that they would not honor the online price.

Nancy, thanks for having your concerns. I'm glad you saved money, but it would have not been a problem to buy it later, if you still wanted it. Your peace of mind is worth much more than the $600 you saved.

-Ray

Jbird560 said:
Our NC-13 is being delivered tomorrow and we ordered it on line referencing the Watertown prices. The stove is not being shipped from Watertown, it is being shipped from their warehouse in Virginia. It was their choice to
match the price for us. Most of your big stores have a long standing policy of matching prices from competitors so why would it be unusual to match prices with their own stores?

so your saying if i print out the internet page with the 669 price and take it into the home depot they may match it?

Nope, the NC-13 is only $519.00 The NC-30 is $649.00 + estimated tax. The site states they will NOT ship to Hawaii or Alaska, for the advertised shipping rate ($0.00) in this case. I would try it, nonetheless.

This price 'thing' works the same way with Northern Tool: If a item priced is lower on their website than the in-store price the store will match the website price. Nothing wrong with that. It's called being an informed consumer.

To clarify, my initial reservation had to do with the fact that numerous hearthers (to coin a word) were reporting that they had gotten the sale price by listing Watertown as their home store, regardless of where they lived. It's a small detail, but it was enough to give me pause. I placed my order after finding the sale price on Home Depot's site.

A Quaker, if called to testify in court, will not swear on a Bible to tell the truth, the whole truth, etc., because we are presumed to tell the truth at all times. Thus, we affirm, not swear, that we are telling the truth.*

Splitting hairs? Perhaps. High horse? No doubt.

But that's what I'm made of, and I'm not going to change. And I'm not trying to change anyone else.

Peace, Friend Hiram.

Nancy

*A notable exception would be Richard Nixon. How he was a Quaker and did what he did is beyond me...

Making sure that your actions are ethical is an admirable quality and our country desparately needs more people like you. Same thing applies to simple things like telling the clerk in a store that she has given you too much back in change or discovering something in your basket that you forgot to pay for and going back in the store and paying for it. I don't do this because the store can't stand the loss, I do it for me. It's my face I see in the mirror every morning.
Jbird

Ethics and Home Depot in the same discussion is pretty amusing. This is the same company that suckers people in with no interest for 6 to 12 months and then whacks them with 27% interest since day 1 on day 181 if even .01 is left on that balance.

SolarAndWood said:
Ethics and Home Depot in the same discussion is pretty amusing. This is the same company that suckers people in with no interest for 6 to 12 months and then whacks them with 27% interest since day 1 on day 181 if even .01 is left on that balance.

I don't base my actions on my judgment of the other person, company, or whatever. I try to do what's right by my personal code of ethics. I try to apply the golden rule and try not to judge others (not always successful, but try). And my hat is off to Nancy, the world could use a lot more like her.

P.S. I think that financing policy is widespread, not just Home Depot, and that it is provided in writing as part of the contract.

Nancy,

One last thought (because us gals have to stick together, yeah?!): By ordering the way you did you also have the advantage of having the stove delivered to your home. If you had ordered from your 'home store' you would have to make arrangements to 'get it home'. Again, this is acting as an informed consumer. I read of many 'guys' here toting their stoves home but have yet to hear of a woman toting it home. Now, the only question remains: Will they bring it into your house? I kind of doubt that so you will still probably have to get some 'muscle' to get that heavy black box inside.

Peace and good will!

Shari,

I don't know how the stove will arrive, but if it is by UPS, there's a regular driver who would insist on putting it wherever I want it. He has delivered large, heavy packages for my kennel business, and he wouldn't hear of my toting them up the lawn on a dolly.

He also gives me (or leaves with packages if I'm not home) a dog biscuit for each of my fur persons.

Nancy

Oh, and they bark at him anyway!

DanCorcoran said:
SolarAndWood said:

I don't base my actions on my judgment of the other person, company, or whatever. I try to do what's right by my personal code of ethics. I try to apply the golden rule and try not to judge others (not always successful, but try). And my hat is off to Nancy, the world could use a lot more like her.

P.S. I think that financing policy is widespread, not just Home Depot, and that it is provided in writing as part of the contract.

Exactly. Ethics is something you have for you. People that don't have ethics don't understand it. It's not what you do when people are watching, it's what you do when
no one can see. Predatory financing schemes is their problem. Our problem is to
steer our own ship. Get enough people going in the right direction and life improves
for everyone. Get enough people willing to sacrifice their integrity for what they want and the country winds up where we are right now. Hold on to your shorts, we are in
for a rough ride.

SolarAndWood said:

that's how those loans work.
They're hardly the only enterprise that offers them.

Jbird560 said:
Exactly. Ethics is something you have for you. People that don't have ethics don't understand it. It's not what you do when people are watching, it's what you do when
no one can see. Predatory financing schemes is their problem. Our problem is to
steer our own ship. Get enough people going in the right direction and life improves
for everyone. Get enough people willing to sacrifice their integrity for what they want and the country winds up where we are right now. Hold on to your shorts, we are in
for a rough ride.

Well said. I perceive a recent political movement as the "Me Party".

But somehow we seem to have drifted from a discussion of Englander stove pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.