Quaker Moravian and no permit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soozlz

Nov 27, 2007
Southern CT
Just an update for all who were so helpul. I went to see the inspector today. The Quaker Moravian info was not enough so I brought up the NFPA 211 codes and he insisted I still need the manual. I said I don't have it, can't get it and regardless everything defaults back to NFPA. He asked me to wait a moment and came back with a book. He said THIS is what WE go by. Its the CT state building code. The section he noted is 1414 which said stove shall be listed, labeled and installed in accordance with the terms of the liasting. Fireplace stove shall be tested in accordance with UL 737. That was it. No help, research, suggestons. I'm suck in wood stove hell and I don't even have a stove yet.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to fight city hall or not. It sounds like you haven't purchased anything yet. What about getting a different stove. One that is listed and has documentation?

Thats the smart thing to do and may come to that. I made many calls today retailers, installers, etc. The majority feel I am getting the run around. This is do-able, there are codes and I'm sure I'm not the first person in town to get a permit for a stove without a manual. If I could afford a new wood stove I would skip all of this and just do it.

What's the budget? Is there a flue in there already? How flexible are you on stove styles? What size stove?

Really and truthfully, you can't legally install it. If it isn't listed and labeled, you can't install, that's the rule. I know it stinks, but that's the way it is.

The budget is really low...don't laugh. Its ONLY $200. There is and existing chimney that at one time had a wood stove (long before I bought the house. I don't have any concrete measurements. If I found something I liked I would measure and see how it would fit.

Oh and BeGReen, there is an existing chimney we would tap into. It probably needs to be lined. Desired style is the fireplace stove.

Corie. It is sad but true. Rules are rules and are there for a reason, but then why have all these codes if the manual is most important. I received an email from the current owner of the stove giving me the information on the plate. The only thing that isn't readable is the manufacturers name/model. I'll call the inspector tomorrow and tell him what it says, just as one last ditch effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.