1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Qualities of silver maple?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Missouri Frontier, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    If you can, I would figure out which of the primo woods was driest, then stand a few splits around the stove. They will dry out pretty quick. As mentioned though, with the Princess burn times aren't going to be a problem even with the Silver. Sounds like you've got this season well in hand. :cool:
    Missouri Frontier likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    For anyone who reads and uses this suggestion (and it does work) - remember to keep your clearance to combustibles. Safety is number one and you don't need to be waking up from the game on TV to see smoking wood around the stove.
  3. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I used to think it got punky in a hurry and the ends seem to look like it but the wood is fine, dont have any 7 or 8 years old.:)
  4. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Silver Maple fo me is a very good wood to start fires with, I start alot of fires over the winter and it can not be stressed enough how important it is to get the flue up to temp as quickly as possible and Silver Maple, Elm, and Boxelder do this nicely.
    Missouri Frontier likes this.
  5. Missouri Frontier

Missouri Frontier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Missouri BFE north of KC
    I like the power dry option woody. I'll try it, with a nod to jags warning.
  6. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    quote="Backwoods Savage, post: 1565931, member: 1624"]I have no problem keeping it 7-8 years or longer and it does not get punky.[/quote]
    I'm sure it is my method of seasoning that makes it that way. I don't have a shed and I don't cover it with a tarp.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm sure it is my method of seasoning that makes it that way. I don't have a shed and I don't cover it with a tarp.[/quote]

Nor do I store wood under a tarp. The only wood we put in the shed is that which we will burn for the winter. Before that, it is all stored outdoors. So this is curious as to why you can't keep wood that long.