Question aboust stove cement and flue connections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
I have a 16' 6" SS pipe with a applaince connector on the end of it that is male that terminates into the top of my stove. I just notice that even though the connector is pushed down as far as it can go I can still take and light and see the light of the flames sometimes and shine the flashlight around the top and see the light insdie of the fire box. I did not use any furnace cement when connecting it to the stove. So I am wondering if I can run a bead of the black HI TEMP Rutland cement and gasket maker around where the connection meets the stove and call it a day......Any opinons on this? Is this the right way to do it?

Last edited:
You can, but the cement can dry, harden and eventually fall down the flue collar. You'd be better off cramming some rope gasket into the gap using a flat head screwdriver or something similar to pack it in there...

Im Not sure if I can get any rope between it. If you look at the attached pic it is simalr to what I have I am just wanting to know if I can seal between the lip on the adapter to the top of the stove?

Attachments

• Question aboust stove cement and flue connections
    Untitled.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 89
if I am reading this correctly you have a female at the stove connection? That should be male going into the stove or you may get some creo goo leakage onto the stove top. Stuff the male in there and forget about it.

Im Not sure if I can get any rope between it. If you look at the attached pic it is simalr to what I have I am just wanting to know if I can seal between the lip on the adapter to the top of the stove?

If it's too tight to cram stuff in there, I'd try to use tape gasket in lieu of the cement. You'll get a tight enough seal & it'll last longer.

if I am reading this correctly you have a female at the stove connection? That should be male going into the stove or you may get some creo goo leakage onto the stove top. Stuff the male in there and forget about it.

Im sorry! It is a male connector just like in the pick I posted...I typed it wrong from the start. So I just stuffed the pipe into the MALE connect and tightend the clamp down and just put it inot the top of the stove and screwd it to it....So I do not have to seal where the lip of the adapter meets the stove?????

And actually if you look at the pick the line pointing to the lip on the callar actually sits flush on the stove...

Im sorry! It is a male connector just like in the pick I posted...I typed it wrong from the start. So I just stuffed the pipe into the MALE connect and tightend the clamp down and just put it inot the top of the stove and screwd it to it....So I do not have to seal where the lip of the adapter meets the stove?????

Probably not. It will draw a small amount of air in, but it probably will not let smoke out...

Status
Not open for further replies.