Question about a used Boston 1700 vs new Kodiak 1700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbower4

Jan 26, 2018
Baltimore, MD
We are getting a new wood stove. We can get an Enviro Kodiak 1700 for about $2200 (just the stove alone). The dealer also offered us the display working version of an Enviro Boston 1700 which has "only had 1-2 cords of wood through it" and has been there display for this year only which, new is about $3300 (just the stove alone) and he would sell it to us for $1900 BUT we wouldn't have a warranty on the stove. My question is:

Aside from looks is there any benefit from getting the nicer stove even though it's "used"

Do I/Am I going to need the warranty that's on the stove in your experience with a Enviro product

Thanks all!
-BB

That's a good deal, I'd go for it. The odds of you needing warranty work for the stove are very low. You might negotiate a 30 day moneyback or upgrade guarantee from the dealer just to give you a chance to install and try it out. As long as there aren't installation issues, the stove should provide you with many years of satisfaction.

FWIW, this is how we got our T6 9 yrs ago. No regrets.

That's a good deal, I'd go for it. The odds of you needing warranty work for the stove are very low. You might negotiate a 30 day moneyback or upgrade guarantee from the dealer just to give you a chance to install and try it out. As long as there aren't installation issues, the stove should provide you with many years of satisfaction.

FWIW, this is how we got our T6 9 yrs ago. No regrets.

Thanks for the advice!

We are getting a new wood stove. We can get an Enviro Kodiak 1700 for about $2200 (just the stove alone). The dealer also offered us the display working version of an Enviro Boston 1700 which has "only had 1-2 cords of wood through it" and has been there display for this year only which, new is about $3300 (just the stove alone) and he would sell it to us for $1900 BUT we wouldn't have a warranty on the stove. My question is:

Aside from looks is there any benefit from getting the nicer stove even though it's "used"

Do I/Am I going to need the warranty that's on the stove in your experience with a Enviro product

Thanks all!
-BB

Go with the stove you would prefer to look at. Basically the same stove with some differences, as I’m sure your dealer explained. We (my wife) wanted the Boston, but our fireplace didn’t have the extra inch in depth we needed for it, so we went with the Kodiak. No regrets. I actually prefer the look for our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: illini81
da4a994f3bb073e142b696c581479256.jpg

Went with the Kodiak! First burn!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's starting to cook. Looks great!