question about blower ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PezPit

Mar 11, 2011
S.W Pennsylvania
This being my first year burning I was thinking about what to add for next season I was considering the blower for the P.E Spectrum not sure I really need it but was wondering if it makes that much of a differnce in moving heat around or just a unecessary option. Also thinking I could use a stove themostat ? I get the basement area crazy hot with the stove would the blower just make it hotter or would it actually help in moving the hot air up the steps ? Thanks Pez

I would flip for the blower if it was me... I was thinking about not getting it with my super 27, but in the end im glad i did! I run it on a low setting and it blows the hot air all over the place. When/if you do decide to get one, you can then do the real test of running without it, and then turning it on. I think you will be impressed. Dont get me wrong, it does well without one just more concentrated it seems. But regardless, nice stove you did good!

Did you have your from the start on your stove or did you get it after? Is this something I can install or do I need the dealer to put it on ?

I had mine installed when it was new. However it is very very easy to install, maybe all of 5-10 mins. No need for a dealer, just a screwdriver and an outlet.

Distribute the heat with the fan at the top of the stairs blowing down. A thermometer for the stove is a good idea.

The fan at the top of the steps is doing a good job ..that is why I was wondering if I really need the blower ? Im guessing the blower would help get the heat up the steps faster ?

It helps to get the heat directly from the stove, and blow it out everywhere. From there you can still use fans to move it around if needed. And yes get a thermo.

I would spring for the blower for sure! I know with my VC Dutchwest it does ok without the blower but when you turn it on the heat circulation is soooo much better.

We use the blower more in the shoulder season it seams.. it helps to temper the fluctuation when trying to keep the house comfortable when it's 50 and rainy out.. like today. and yesterday. and the day before that... since we are definitely not building big fires..

We purchased a blower and for a couple of weeks thought it was a bad investment. However, it's great to cool the stove when you get it too hot (like I often do) and serves as a good "emergency" backup plan. It drops the temp 100º to 150º in 2 or 3 minutes. We don't, however, use it under normal conditions.

Dakotas Dad said:
We use the blower more in the shoulder season it seams.. it helps to temper the fluctuation when trying to keep the house comfortable when it's 50 and rainy out.. like today. and yesterday. and the day before that... since we are definitely not building big fires..

Agree, helps control shoulder season burns as well.

Blowers are good if your stove has a tendency to get very hot. On the other hand if you cant seem to get high stove top temps out of your stove because of weak draft or not ideal MC in the wood a blower will only amplify the problem. cant seem to get my Eng -30 over 600 stovetop so im glad i did not put a blower on it.

thanks for all the input on this subject I can see for sure I need a thermostat to check stove temps. a newbie question would be is there specific temps. the stove needs to be. is it stove specific ? alot of learning to do over the summer.. Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.