question about creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

64IMPALA

Jul 20, 2016
wisconsin
Hi Guys -

I got my flue thermometer installed yesterday and fired up the stove for the first time. I should have gotten one of these things right away. When I thought I was completely over-firing my flue, based on my stove top temps, the flue thermometer showed I was just about in the correct range. Little hot, but not burn your house down hot. :)

No I need to do a draft test as well. Might do that this coming weekend.

Anyways, to the topic at hand. If the only thing in the stove is coals and the flue temp is in the yellow section of the thermometer, indicating flue temps are too cold, is creosote forming or is that just when there is active burning taking place? when I'm home, I like to burn the logs down to coals, then burn the coals down pretty far before I just more wood onto it. Just wondering if I'm hurting myselft with creosote by doing that.

thanks!
J

My understanding is creosote is condensed smoke, which is basically absent during the coaling stage.

Reactions: Highbeam