Question about Englander 30 break in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
I am going to set my stove tonight. I did have a question regarding the break in fire. The manual says do a short fire to break in before any sustained fires. What exactly does that mean. Just build a small fire and let it cook things and let it burn out. Then can I start my 24/7 fire. I am sorry I am so dense and this newb appreciates the help. Thanks.

The fire(s) are used to cure paint and burn the oils off. One side benefit is it helps teach you the stove and on the off chance something isn't right with the install, a small fire to put out.

Matt

Spoon if you're installing this yourself it's not a bad idea to fire the stove up in your driveway.

savageactor7 said:
Spoon if you're installing this yourself it's not a bad idea to fire the stove up in your driveway.

The bad thing I already hauled the thing in the house.

just be prepared for some smoke and smell-age.

You'll be fine. Just build a few small / moderate fires to cure the paint and get used to the stove.

pen

crack a window and let her rip ,pay attnetion to the air controls and whatnot ...it will likely smell of pungent chemical odor like paint fumes for an hour or so

Try a few 1 hour burns, each one 100 F hotter.

Keep warm and enjoy it.

I'm a noob wood burner but, I did my break fire just last week in my 30. I let er rip and it stunk and smoked set off the smoke alarm for about a half hour. So my mistake was not opening up a bunch of windows right away and it does smell like chemicals and not wood. I burned pretty good fire for about 3 hours and the next day, I started my second fire and still had some smell for an hour or two but no smoke. All in all I'm glad I got the stinky burn all done at once since the wife and kids were not home that evening, I think it would have turned her off the whole wood stove thing.

Link to my very first fire if u wanna see it.

First Fire Englander 30-NC

Yup, the break in is going to stink up the house. Like the other guy said... open some windows. You might also pull the batteries out of your smoke detectors before you start. Just make sure to remember to put them back in!

After your break in fire, keep in mind that for each new "record high" temp your stove gets to, you'll get a little bit of that chemical smell. The same will go for the black stove pipe. Each time your stack temp gets your stove pipe to a new high temp, you may get some smell from that too.

Once you've been burning for a while, you'll probably get every part of your system as hot as it will likely ever get and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.