Englander Blue Ridge 500 I opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brownclown

Sep 8, 2023
10512, NY
I am hopeful I have found an insert that appears to meet many of the wants I have. After searching I cant find any reviews. Anyone have direct experience or opinions with this model. If not model experince, brand quality and customer care if helpful. Also if you can confirm that i would be able to fit 16in longs going North/South. From the specs in the diagrams I'm seeing 17 1/4 worth of fire break running North/South so guessing that wouldnt be an issue but i am an insert noob. This is is a large insert and would be overkill for my need of 1,000 Sq Ft.

I guess this just a general insert operation question but will a larger insert cook me out or am I able to adjust it down akin to lowering a thermostat. I have never used an insert so am not really understanding how much control i would have. If i was to load this up would this cause it to burn incredibly hot or can i turn down amount of air to get long burn times? Or would i have to only load a few pieces at a time to keep temperatures comfortable.

Thanks

Nothing. Even just brand quality and customer service would be helpful as this would be a blind purchase online. Thanks

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sbi-purchases-englander.192427/all i have found was this thread . This had lead me to question the quality of the brand. Has been being acquired by SBI helped any ? I see most SBI brands , Drolet, Osburn spoken about positively and good values for dollar. I am hoping the same is true for Englander now.

That is a new model which is why no response. I have Englander 30NC on main floor ( wood stove free stand) I have an old pdv pellet stove which I have been working on every so often - it will go in the basement shop area, one of these days. Hang up is the 30 ft worth of flue,$$$ as I do not want it to terminae out the side wall as the prevailing winds will blow the exhaust back against the siding ( plastic) and some large deflector would look funky. This would not be a 24/7 run unit only when working down there. Service / parts from Englander is pretty good / or was- don't know now that SBI owns them.

Reactions: brownclown
is this model similar to any of the other SBI brands builds so I can maybe get some feedback that way? I hesitant to buy unseen and no reviews but this seems to be best matched model for my wants .

This is for the 500-i insert, correct?
Unfortunately, this is a new model, so no real world reports, but it looks suspiciously like the large SBI firebox used in the Osburn 3500, but perhaps with a vermiculite baffle? The manuals are surprisingly generic and poor so it is going to take some eyes on this unit and it's specs for comparison. The docs look hastily put together and have several obvious cut and paste errors from other SBI stove models that don't apply.

That said, looking at the parts diagram, I think there is a good chance that this is the value version of the Osburn 3500. The firebrick pattern, tube layout, baffle, etc. look the same. There is no big Drolet insert, so this fills that gap. The specifications say it has a vermiculite baffle but the parts list says C-Cast. I expect we'll see revised docs soon.

FWIW, the Osburn 3500 is a serious badboy heater. It's the same size and has many happy owners. Maybe consider that as an alternative with a good track record.

Last edited:
This is for the 500-i insert, correct?
Unfortunately, this is a new model, so no real world reports, but it looks suspiciously like the large SBI firebox used in the Osburn 3500, but perhaps with a vermiculite baffle? The manuals are surprisingly generic and poor so it is going to take some eyes on this unit and it's specs for comparison. The docs look hastily put together and have several obvious cut and paste errors from other SBI stove models that don't apply.

That said, looking at the parts diagram, I think there is a good chance that this is the value version of the Osburn 3500. The firebrick pattern, tube layout, baffle, etc. look the same. There is no big Drolet insert, so this fills that gap. The specifications say it has a vermiculite baffle but the parts list says C-Cast. I expect we'll see revised docs soon.

FWIW, the Osburn 3500 is a serious badboy heater. It's the same size and has many happy owners. Maybe consider that as an alternative with a good track record.
Thank you so much for this. Comparing the 2 models on the spec sheets they are very very similar . The Osburn is over 1000 dollars more. I don't know enough to know where that extra cost comes from. As you mentioned the baffles being C-Cast vs vermiculite is one. Is that an import option to consider? Given the part number on the Englander is identical do you think that the parts could be swapped in the future as an upgrade if i encounter problems (break) them in the Englander? Are you able to share any others areas where SBI using similar designs makes cuts from higher value like Osburn to lower lines like Drolet and Englander. Where are the cost difference usually found to make up extra seen in Osburn?

Also multiple online dealers say this unit qualifies for 30 percent tax credit. But if i am understanding how the credit works units need to have at least a 75 HHV. Is this just shaddy or incompetent listings or am I missing something?

So far the main differences I see are the door and maybe the baffle. It could be that by making it in the US steel prices are better. It looks like there is a very good chance that the C-Cast baffle would work.

SBI has always run a value line. This has developed over the past 2 decades as a series of acquisitions. In the past it was Century->Drolet->Osburn. They bought Englander a couple years ago. Now it looks like Englander will fill in some holes in the Drolet line. I haven't had a chance to review the rest of the new Blue Ridge models but I suspect they are also related to the Drolet line of stoves. The BR 100 looks very much like a Drolet Nano.

Also multiple online dealers say this unit qualifies for 30 percent tax credit. But if i am understanding how the credit works units need to have at least a 75 HHV. Is this just shaddy or incompetent listings or am I missing something?
SBI is interpreting the rules a little differently, but so far I have not heard of any challenges to this by the IRS as long as the buyer has a certificate by the manufacturer.

Also looking at this stove myself. Was going back and forth between the Osburn 3500 and the Enerzone 3.5. Just happened to do a little more digging and found this Blue Ridge stove. Everything that I can tell is it uses the same firebox as the other large SBI stoves, but a little more utilitarian appearance. Did you ever purchase this stove, and if so can you provide your thoughts? I am leaning much more to this stove due to the price, and experience with previous Englander Stoves.

Also looking at this stove myself. Was going back and forth between the Osburn 3500 and the Enerzone 3.5. Just happened to do a little more digging and found this Blue Ridge stove. Everything that I can tell is it uses the same firebox as the other large SBI stoves, but a little more utilitarian appearance. Did you ever purchase this stove, and if so can you provide your thoughts? I am leaning much more to this stove due to the price, and experience with previous Englander Stoves.
Let us know if you get it. The door is different but the innards looks the same.

Sorry for delay in response. I also have bought and received this stove. After the advice here, talking with SBI and my wallet , I decided this was the best option for me. Other than the door and baffle , I didnt see a reason for the extra of an Osburn. But i don't know enough to know if that is reality or just me being frugal. I still haven't installed it yet as I didnt take into account the flue connection height vs my block off plate. i will not be able to reach so needed to order the ez connector piece that allows you to connect inside of the stove. I measured many many times to make sure i would fit but hadn't considered that aspect. The stove fits but i have very little room to reach the screw in brackets. This stove is HUGE. I am very happy i stepped went with this size. I will update more once i am fully installed and have some experience. However this is a first for me and have very limited wood burning experience. SO, far I am very happy with build. The only thing i dislike is the etched glass. Why they would block the flame view in any way is bothersome to me. There are much better ways to promote company model.

Thanks for the update! How long did it take from order date to receiving the stove?

I have measured 3-4 times myself, and it is going to be a very tight fit into my fireplace as well. I have a heatform fire box that may need to be modified in order to fit this behemoth! I am upgrading from the TN20 insert that I've had installed for the last two years. It just wasn't enough stove to heat my open concept 1800 SF main floor (with high ceilings). Looking forward to the increase in BTUs that this stove should provide.

Have any pictures to share of the stove?

It was a very fast and easy process from My fire place. It was 2 days from order to being shipped. I don't remember exactly but maybe 5ish to my door and could of been quicker but i had to arrange with freight shipper to be home. They were also great and communicative. I think there name was Sia or something along those lines . If you are going to be tight definitely get one of these . I do not have any pictures here but will get some on Monday. Also it is turn down as much as possible to lower weight. Hopefully ill be able to install this weekend but weather isnt best and help may not be available. another thing to mention is the stove is well secured to the pallet. I did a little surface damge to stove top trying to remvove center brace. They used like 5 nails in every connection so had a bit of rubing trying to open it up.