Question about glass hazing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the grey as well. After about 5-7 days I can't see into the stove very well at all and I let the coal bed burn down and the stove cool to 250-300 and then use a moist paper towel to clean it up with ease.

I've never had any difficulty with just a wet paper towel wiping the haze off the glass when it's cool.

well,,, my glass did not crack.

I cleaned it immediately after I opened it on a 550 degree stovetop. It was all hot coals, so i swung the door all the way open to keep from burning my face off,,,sprayed glass cleaner directly on the glass. It evaporated on contact.

I let it set for a few seconds,,,,sprayed the glass cleaner directly on the towel,,,,rubbed the glass. It was cleaning but evaporated again so fast, and the heat came thru the towel and got hot on my fingers,,,making me stop. I let it set more,,,sprayed again directly on the glass,,,rubbed fast. Did that until the glass was clean. Glass was still hot,hot,hot.

When i closed the door, you could see smearing. It was drying too fast to get perfectly clean.

It was fun,,,the glass survived. Thermal shock did nothing this time. Only burnt myself twice.

well,,, my glass did not crack.

I cleaned it immediately after I opened it on a 550 degree stovetop. It was all hot coals, so i swung the door all the way open to keep from burning my face off,,,sprayed glass cleaner directly on the glass. It evaporated on contact.

I let it set for a few seconds,,,,sprayed the glass cleaner directly on the towel,,,,rubbed the glass. It was cleaning but evaporated again so fast, and the heat came thru the towel and got hot on my fingers,,,making me stop. I let it set more,,,sprayed again directly on the glass,,,rubbed fast. Did that until the glass was clean. Glass was still hot,hot,hot.

When i closed the door, you could see smearing. It was drying too fast to get perfectly clean.

It was fun,,,the glass survived. Thermal shock did nothing this time. Only burnt myself twice.
Man you are brave at 550 stovetop!

Man you are brave at 550 stovetop!

i regretted not waiting,,,but i already had the door open, and would have to vacum the gasket to close it,,,so i finished what i started. I'll never do it again that hot,,,,,

I find if the stove is too hot and the glass is hot it doesn't clean as nearly as well or as easily. It seems the moisture evaporates almost immediately from the towel and leaves really awful streak marks and seem to smear the ash accumulation rather than remove it if the glass is to hot

i regretted not waiting,,,but i already had the door open, and would have to vacum the gasket to close it,,,so i finished what i started. I'll never do it again that hot,,,,,
Razor face you are a smart man, hot hot. I never clean the glass on my stove if it is above 200 f in the morning and can't do it right now cos we have a Germans shepherd puppy 12 weeks old that takes the cloth and runs away with it for fun and so our glass is a wee bit off!!!!

Like Kevin, in the morning before I rekindle the stove, I wipe the glass with a cloth wetted with very not water. I don't use paper towels but a dish rag I save for this purpose. I dry it with another dish rag -
Diane my puppy has stolen our rag and hidden it only where puppies can hide them, but an old rag works for us .when the stove is done the overnight burn and before we start to burn on the leftover coals we run the tap for hot water and the soak the rag(recover from the puppy, that we love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and a quick wipe seems to clean the glass right up, a good fire seems to clean the glass also. God the puppy is chewing up my boots, got to go

Status
Not open for further replies.