Question About Harman Manual Igniter Position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I am expecting out of it, too.....
When the weather was mild last week, the stove shut off, and started up,
just like you would expect... but the colder nights, it's been on room/manual, just so there is
always "some" heat coming up.
REALLY cold weather, I think I an going to want medium-medium_high heat/constantly!

Dan
Here is the deal, you want heat you need BTU, to make BTU you burn more fuel. It's really that simple. My p61 in that really cold weather takes care of the distribution fan itself in Room Temp Manual, even set on medium it will often cycle up on high. As the weather gets colder the stove picks up the pace. I will say though, I get more even heat through the house with a higher revving fan constantly. The owner just has to add more pellets and I'll tell you what, with oil now at $`1.82 that I saw yesterday locally, this is the time "For Me" to put it in Stove Temp Auto, Medium to High fan, a given setting that uses say a bag of pellets a day or there abouts. and let the oil pick up the difference. I say that because in 0deg weather this stove and house combo knocks on 3 bags a day if the stove heats the house alone. The first year with a certain batch of crappy pellets that we ended up returning it was pushing 4 bags on a given day. That was the all time worst it ever did though.

I might even set it up to burn 1-1/2 bags a day in the cold in Stove Temp Auto. I bet the oil doesn't run much because we have old cast iron radiators and they give off heat for a long time after the boiler shuts down. Maybe 4-5 cycles a day ( 24 hours) with a .65 nozzle, running 40 minutes each time as a max limit. So that's roughly 2 to 2-1/2 gals a day for the ultra cold weather. That sounds about right from my coal burning days as well. Yeah, the stove really cuts into the on time and enhances the off time of the boiler running.

Or we may have a mild winter, and non of this matters, burn either fuel. But in these dark months we like a fire on the hearth anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
"For Me" to put it in Stove Temp Manual, Medium to High fan, a given setting that uses say a bag of pellets a day or there abouts
I think, from what I see so far, the P68 in a low heat/manual mode will burn more than a bag a day..
;?

Dan

I think, from what I see so far, the P68 in a low heat/manual mode will burn more than a bag a day..
;?

Dan
Well it's a big high output machine made to make heat. Meanwhile on average or the average bag of pellets equals 2.5 gals of oil. You can take it from there.

Last edited:
Well it's a big high output machine made to make heat. Meanwhile on average or the a?verage bag of pellets equals 2.5 gals of oil. You can take it from there.
For Me" to put it in Stove Temp Manual, Medium to High fan, a given setting that uses say a bag of pellets a day or there abouts. and let the oil pick up the difference.
ok. now u did confuse me.. stove/manual? I was just contemplating stove/auto for winter..
thought manual was mostly fireplace mode...

Reactions: Pete Zahria
For Me" to put it in Stove Temp Manual, Medium to High fan, a given setting that uses say a bag of pellets a day or there abouts. and let the oil pick up the difference.
ok. now u did confuse me.. stove/manual? I was just contemplating stove/auto for winter..
thought manual was mostly fireplace mode...
Hold the phone, I gotta go back and read my post.

Oh that's my fault entirely Tony, Auto, I meant auto. I'll go back and edit it so it's correct. i only run Stove temp Manual around a 4 output when we have company and don't want the fan on.
wheeew... thanx..
my brain couldn't handle another choice the way this thread has been going..!!!
Stove/auto for me when the fridgids come.. 3rd season and still changing things..
i'm off this rainy Wens...

wheeew... thanx..
my brain couldn't handle another choice the way this thread has been going..!!!
i'm off this rainy Wens...
If I read it right I said in winter I was running Room Temp Manual and the fan kind of did it's thing. But for mixing with oil I will run in Stove Temp Auto.

Edit: I just found it and corrected it, sorry about that!! Man, one little brain glitch gets complicated at 65 !

Separate message from here on: The other evening when I posted I ran the stove on about 3/4 fan in Stove Temp Auto, 3-1/2 output feed rate 2 and the house was in a steady rise in temp as the outdoor temp dropped through the 30's down to about 29.

Last edited:
If I read it right I said in winter I was running Room Temp Manual and the fan kind of did it's thing. But for mixing with oil I will run in Stove Temp Auto.

Edit: I just found it and corrected it, sorry about that!! Man, one little brain glitch gets complicated at 65 !

Separate message from here on: The other evening when I posted I ran the stove on about 3/4 fan in Stove Temp Auto, 3-1/2 output feed rate 2 and the house was in a steady rise in temp as the outdoor temp dropped through the 30's down to about 29.
Yeah. If you're going to mix sources Stove is the only way to fly.

Yeah. If you're going to mix sources Stove is the only way to fly.
hey.. not fa nothin but is the final end now of this marathon thread?>>
doesn't matter to me. can go on forever.. just spitballin here..
did learn some new good stuff ..

Depends on whether or not people still think they are learning from it I guess
I for one have run out of questions now that I have found out how to keep a steady blower using a very low feed rate as you say, the Governor..

Last edited:
Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.