Question about HI300 burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the part about heating the chimney but how does it get out to mother nature if the TOP of the chimney is sealed?

(Not arguing, trying to learn.)
As you say, the top of the chimney is blocked off in a standard install, so hot air won't be flowing up and out the chimney. However if there is no blockoff plate at the bottom, hot air generated by the stove will convect up into the chimney space. That heat will be lost to the masonry and flow by conduction to the outside world (unless the chimney is entirely interior to the house). A blockoff plate at the bottom will reduce the rate of heat loss up into the chimney.

-Jim

Is it customary to negotiate / haggle with delears to get the price down? I've gotten quotes of $5,600, $5,000, $4,600, $4,400, and $4,300 installed. Should I try to get the two lowest to bid against each other?

Better to look at the fine print and understand the differences in price. Do you want the cheapest job if it means inferior materials or cutting corners? Have you requested references?

Better to look at the fine print and understand the differences in price. Do you want the cheapest job if it means inferior materials or cutting corners? Have you requested references?
Yes, the Regency dealers in the area all have similar reputations. I got the quotes written up by line item and the price differences are attributable to what they're charging for the exact same parts from the manufacturer.

Do you have price breakdowns on the install? There can be a 100% difference in flue liner costs.

Yes, the Regency dealers in the area all have similar reputations. I got the quotes written up by line item and the price differences are attributable to what they're charging for the exact same parts from the manufacturer.
what parts are you referring to? I know we cant even buy the liners we use for the price some stove shops charge for a cheap liner installed with no insulation of block off plate. It never hurts to try negotiating but I would not expect to get far especially at this time.

what parts are you referring to? I know we cant even buy the liners we use for the price some stove shops charge for a cheap liner installed with no insulation of block off plate. It never hurts to try negotiating but I would not expect to get far especially at this time.
Insert, faceplate, blower, and decorative grille are all priced separately.

Got them down another $150 if I pay in cash.

Insert, faceplate, blower, and decorative grille are all priced separately.

Got them down another $150 if I pay in cash.
Yes they all should be priced separately but they should also be fairly close in price to each other

What about a breakdown of the parts used in the installation?

Reactions: bholler
What about a breakdown of the parts used in the installation?
Yes that and labor would be where I would expect to see a price difference.

It varied pretty dramatically actually. $200+ variance in the price of the insert, $100+ variance in the price of the faceplate, etc. The blower is free with a manufacturer promotion right now so there was no variance there.

It varied pretty dramatically actually. $200+ variance in the price of the insert, $100+ variance in the price of the faceplate, etc. The blower is free with a manufacturer promotion right now so there was no variance there.
Well one shop may be running a discount now I dont know but 2-3 hundred dollars does not make up the $1300 difference between the high and low bids. I would guess the high bidder is using higher quality materials the low bidder may not be insulating look over the bids carefully and ask them questions. The low bid often is not the best deal at all.

Well one shop may be running a discount now I dont know but 2-3 hundred dollars does not make up the $1300 difference between the high and low bids. I would guess the high bidder is using higher quality materials the low bidder may not be insulating look over the bids carefully and ask them questions. The low bid often is not the best deal at all.
I didn't bother to get the detail on the $5,600 bid. The other four were all pretty close and I'm not going to pay 5x for installation regardless of quality.

I didn't bother to get the detail on the $5,600 bid. The other four were all pretty close and I'm not going to pay 5x for installation regardless of quality.
If it includes insulation and a block off plate and a high quality liner while the others are un insulated with no plate and a low quality liner it may be the best deal

While you have to evaluate the bids, I think it's almost unreal that you got FIVE shops to bid on it!

I do most things myself when I can, but I got 3 bids to blow in fiberglass insulation in the attic a few years ago. One guy was twice the bid of the low bidder. I went with the low bidder, counted bags when they did it, and seems to be a good job. Maybe the expensive guy took a look at our house and thought (mistakenly, hah) that this guy can afford more. Who knows?

While you have to evaluate the bids, I think it's almost unreal that you got FIVE shops to bid on it!

I do most things myself when I can, but I got 3 bids to blow in fiberglass insulation in the attic a few years ago. One guy was twice the bid of the low bidder. I went with the low bidder, counted bags when they did it, and seems to be a good job. Maybe the expensive guy took a look at our house and thought (mistakenly, hah) that this guy can afford more. Who knows?
And yes sometimes the high bid is absolutely over priced. But one should look at all of the variables before throwing out the high bid. There are times it is the best one. But I find that it is rare that the low bid is the best value.

Status
Not open for further replies.