question about inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
My buddy wants to put a stove in place of his pre-fab fireplace. Local dealer tells him that he can slip an insert right inside his pre-fab and just drop a 6" flex liner down through his double wall pre-fab fireplace chimney and be up to code. Is this true? I would have thought he would have to remove the pre-fab and make a masonry fireplace to put an insert in and therefore replace all the chimney pipe as well. If what the dealer says is true, he'll be getting a stove VERY soon.

Jason

He's gonna hafta wrap the 6" liner with insulation in order to maintain clearances to
combustibles where his chimney chase is framed around the fireplace venting...
His current pipe is rated to 1700 degrees, & has a 2" clearance to the framing.
The liners are rated to 2100 degrees & require 18" if uninsulated.
Bottom line is safety. It's his house. He can burn it down if he wants, or he can keep his family,
AND maybe his neighbors safe...

DAKSY said:
He's gonna hafta wrap the 6" liner with insulation in order to maintain clearances to
combustibles where his chimney chase is framed around the fireplace venting...
His current pipe is rated to 1700 degrees, & has a 2" clearance to the framing.
The liners are rated to 2100 degrees & require 18" if uninsulated.

No problem, can it be insulated with ceramic fiber blanket (Kaowool ETC)?? What sort of thickness on the insulation?

Bottom line is safety. It's his house. He can burn it down if he wants, or he can keep his family,
AND maybe his neighbors safe...

If we didn't care about safety, do you think we would bother spending the time to ASK QUESTIONS?

Jason

Jotul and most other higher end stove companies now certify their stoves and inserts for connection through a ZC fireplace as long as an insulated liner is dropped down through the existing air cooled chimney. I have had a jotul Castine run through a ZC fireplace for several years now and it does quite well. In reality this is probably one of the safest installs one could do. You have a insulated stainless steel 2100 degree pipe surrounded by a 8" stainless steel pipe, surrounded by either cooling air or insulation, all enclosed by a 3rd galvanized pipe. I don't see much getting through that. Hence the ZC installation approval from many manufacturers.
Joe

polaris said:
Jotul and most other higher end stove companies now certify their stoves and inserts for connection through a ZC fireplace as long as an insulated liner is dropped down through the existing air cooled chimney. I have had a jotul Castine run through a ZC fireplace for several years now and it does quite well. In reality this is probably one of the safest installs one could do. You have a insulated stainless steel 2100 degree pipe surrounded by a 8" stainless steel pipe, surrounded by either cooling air or insulation, all enclosed by a 3rd galvanized pipe. I don't see much getting through that. Hence the ZC installation approval from many manufacturers.
Joe

dido... shut that zc stove off and put a insert in it. It was the BEST thing I did, I was wasting wood for 10 years with a zc insert. I put a Avalon insert in the zc only 1.3 cu box and I'm getting great heat my furnace has only turned on in the morning and I barely burning a quarter of the wood that I was before and I'm living in the tundra. Good luck best investment you will make.

One thing to consider is the size of the firebox he will be able to get by doing and insert compared to just taking that prefab out and putting an EPA zc fireplace in instead. We sell 2.5 cubic foot epa certified fireplaces with a 16' 2100 degree chimney system and all the fittings to install for a little over $3300. (not trying to sell you one as your waaay out of our sales area) A lot of times, the cost of going with this unit is only a little more than stuffing an insert with a 1.7 cf firebox in the exisiting prefeb. There more labor involved w/ a fireplace swap, but a lot of our customers are do it yourselfers anyhow. Just something to keep in mind. and x3 on the wrap the liner deal for the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.