Question about Jotul 118 and burn plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weed

Nov 25, 2014
North Carolina
I have found a Jotul 118 that was purchased in the late 70's, and according to the owner was used 5 or 6 times and hasn't been used since. He said it was left in the house as a decorator piece and from the pictures it looks to be true. I have a question about the burn plates. Are these something that have to be replaced often? They are expensive and I don't want to have to spend more to replace them a few years down the road than I paid for the stove.

It depends on how the stove is run. If run properly without overfiring you can expect to get 10 yrs for the plates in a stove that is run regularly. This is a good stove and heater. Treat it well and you should be a happy camper.

Are the plates cast or just made out of regular plate steel. If they are made out of plate steel it doesn't look like it would be to hard to make a set.

They are cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.