Question about liner to stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
Got some questions from a buddy at work.

First a little back ground. He has been burning for a long time but he had a old oil furnace that he burned wood and trash in to heat his house....... Has had at least a couple chimney fires. I doubt it has ever been cleaned. Last year he picked up an out door wood furnace. He hates it. The air it blows isn't very hot he said it ate wood. I picked up a Sirocco and we were BSing and he was talking about how he wants to go back to a indoor option. I warned him about his horrid burning practices and told him he could not do that with any modern stoves. I also told him he would need to get dry wood. He cuts his own but is from the old school mentality of cut in the fall what you are going to burn in the next month.

I think I finally have him somewhat converted. I found a BK princess ultra on CL for $1800 thats 3 years old that he picked up. And he is going to have his chimney looked at.

My question is before his oil furnace just had single wall black pipe that dumped into the chimeny that runs from the basement to the roof. I told him he should line it but have no idea(never used anything other then Class A) how you go from the stove to the liner. Should he use double wall black stove pipe from the stove into the chimney then somehow connect it to the liner? Of liner down the chimney then out of it into the top of the stove?

You are a great friend and that is a good deal. Yes, he should have the chimney professionally cleaned. A 6" liner rigid or flex liner will need to be installed, preferably insulated if there is room. Do you know how tall the chimney is approximately? If it's very tall he may be able to go down to 5" round. Blaze King recommends connecting the stove to the chimney with double-wall pipe.

This is what a liner kit typically has in it. http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-liner-kit.php

The liner kit will come with a "tee" that connects to the bottom of the liner. A "snout" is connected to a hole in the side of the tee and goes in the thimble from the tee to the inside of the house. The connector pipe from the stove is connected to the snout.

Not sure on the height yet. He is going to measure. It is in the basement of an old 2 story farm house. The chimney has a clean out in the basement 5 foot under where the old oil furnace stove pipe went into the chimney (Slammer style I assume.) He will be pulling the old stove pipe out there will be a 2' x 2' hole in the chimney where he is planning on installing the new double wall. I assume it will be ok to leave that hole open instead of mortering over so you can get to the clean out on the "T"?

No offense. But your description of that set up makes no sense in typed words whatsoever. Get a look at that thing and take some pics and we can go from there.

yea its late and im tired. lol

Its an old chimney that basically goes from the basement all the way to the roof. There is no opening except for a clean out in the bottom. The old oil furnace has some single wall pipe that goes into the chimney about 5 foot above the clean out.

Is that make it a little clearer?

Yeah. A thimble through the wall to the chimney. If my imagination has a pic of it you attach a piece of pipe to the bottom of the tee instead of capping it and cap the pipe down at the cleanout. Then you are able to just take that cap off and brush down into the clean out.

Well he wasnt planning on using a thimble. just leave a hole in the chimney big enough to get in there and take the clean out off the bottom of the "T".

Status
Not open for further replies.