question about stacking/drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
hi

im sure this has been discussed again and again but...

im splitting some green wood for future seasons.
if I prefer to stack them on a rack, like face cord style, or a rick.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTwxIZ30V-cpJ8BPV-M8IlJKIbNyQ8H41pa1ARi5KPSaAnHHLC.jpg

will they dry out just as well as the perpendicular stacking style?

traditional-towers.jpg

does one style produce less airflow/longer drying times?

thanks

Cross stacking will season faster because more air can get through to more wood. It's just a pita if the pieces aren't uniform in size and it takes longer to do; but if you have the space and time..........

Are you thinking of crisscross stacking your whole wood pile or just the ends to support the stack? If just the ends, that sounds like a good , looks nice too. Crisscrossing every piece of wood you have seems like a monumental task. A neighbor of mine does that and I question if it was with all that time.

This late in the season the criss cross stack will be drier sooner, but probably too late to be ready even for March.

If you are seasoning for September 2016, both should be ready in time, but stacked like the first pic will be a lot less work.

yes I am stacking for october 2016, or later. I would like to stack it all like the first pic, I started stacking criss cross and ran out of patience immediately. the pieces are all different thickness

I would not bother with all that work for next years wood. Unless it is locust or oak. Even then that is ALOT of work.

If your ahead that far, stack once like your first picture. I stack two row with a 4 inches between them, and the occasional piece that ties the two together. Nothing tips over.

If your ahead that far, stack once like your first picture. I stack two row with a 4 inches between them, and the occasional piece that ties the two together. Nothing tips over.

ah yes glad u mentiined that, I figured id have to add a brace somewhere but ill add a second row w tie in piece.

I would think crisscrossing every stack would take up a lot of space, if you have the room go for it, not sure if it's worth trying to balance all that. I cross every end piece to get a little more air flow, and it keeps the stacks square.

Reactions: Seanm
I criss-cross stack my entire piles, but that is because it is how I learned to stack from my grandfather. I stack on pallets and I do not process large sums of wood like most people here. With my setup, I cut, buck and carry one day, then I split and stack another. usually we are talking 1/3-3/4 a cord at a time. A little each day. I find the stacks are extremely stable and get decent airflow from what I can tell. Here are some shots to give you a idea.

A80FA125-EFFD-4F3C-9A88-A8F59B4CF793_zps5y1tn3m7.jpg

BFC64672-6334-4F07-ACEC-D2E7404547C6_zpsg5hcfctz.jpg

E009321F-CE54-4F83-9FAE-89C98DBA866D_zpshftm8dd7.jpg

Reactions: albert1029
Status
Not open for further replies.