Question about stove pipe length - Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiowa

Oct 25, 2007
East Colorado
Hello,
A home remodel may allow me to install an F500 Oslo model stove. My current stove uses a 42.5" horizontal run of 8" single wall pipe before it hits a clean-out T and heads to the roof. I would like to redesign the stove to simply use one run of 6" pipe to the new location directly above the relocated stove, with no turns. My concern is the low roof line and potentially not having enough draft due to a short direct venting. I am at 6500' in Colorado. I have excellent draft from the room the stove sits in.

What do I need to have to ensure that I can get the required draft correct the first time at the install? I estimate that 10' will bring me to 2' above the roof line. Can I get away with that length?
If not what is the optimum length?

Many Thanks!!

cozy_in_kiowa said:
Hello,
A home remodel may allow me to install an F500 Oslo model stove. My current stove uses a 42.5" horizontal run of 8" single wall pipe before it hits a clean-out T and heads to the roof. I would like to redesign the stove to simply use one run of 6" pipe to the new location directly above the relocated stove, with no turns. My concern is the low roof line and potentially not having enough draft due to a short direct venting. I am at 6500' in Colorado. I have excellent draft from the room the stove sits in.

What do I need to have to ensure that I can get the required draft correct the first time at the install? I estimate that 10' will bring me to 2' above the roof line. Can I get away with that length?
If not what is the optimum length?

Many Thanks!!
Page 5 in my Oslo manual says "chimneys shorter than 14 feet may not provide adequate draft". Of course stoves don't read manuals; if it were me I would try it and see what happens keeping the above in mind. Good luck and be safe.
Ed

Ten feet is a very short flue. I start with at least a 12' flue or higher and hope for the best.

Thanks for the replies. How far above the roof line would be considered either ineffective or dangerous? It seems like I might need a ladder to be able to get a brush into clean it. On that point will that stove be ok if I am cleaning it directly straight down into it?

I would make that pipe 13' and install double wall telescoping pipe right at the stove. That way you could clean from inside and not have to go on roof. Do not forget you need a roof brace for every 5' a stove protrudes from roof. You could try short pipe but I feel you would be disappointed with performance which might ruin the whole burning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.