Question About Tile Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gin

Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina
After much research and help from this community, I have had a Woodstock Fireview stove installed. The only thing left to be done is the final grouting of the tile behind the stove. I'm concerned that the heat of the stove will crumble the grout and will be a constant problem. If you have a tile backing, do you have a problem with the grout? Is there some sort of additive that can be used to make the grout heat resistant? Thank you for any help you can offer.

The tile should never get hot enough to cause any problem with the grout. It has not on my 2 installations and both are close to the tile.
If you are laying tile on a floor that might have any flex to it, you should add an additive for that purpose, not due to heat though.

The tile should never get hot enough to cause any problem with the grout. It has not on my 2 installations and both are close to the tile.
If you are laying tile on a floor that might have any flex to it, you should add an additive for that purpose, not due to heat though.

Thanks so much DougA, this is great news. I was feeling aggravated that the tile store didn't advise me to use a special grout or additive (they were also doing the install) but it may be because it's not needed.

Haven't heard or seen this being an issue. As long as the tile is stable and well installed the grout should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.