Question about VENT FREE NG HEATING APPLIANCES. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
Hello!
I'm thinking about switching from our pellet stove to an NG stove for heat.
I've been reading vent free heating appliances can cause condensation problems in the house on windows, etc.
Does anyone know if this is a real problem?
If so, is it a big problem or a trivial one and to what degree a problem is it?
Any opinions on vent free NG heating appliances?

Thanks for any help!

David T.

There is no such thing as vent free. Just exterior vented and interior vented. And yes interior vented causes moisture problems and air quality problems. Most say only use for a certain time period and only with ventilation

If you have kids or people with breathing issues in the house keep away from interior vented appliances. Rates of asthma for kids is much higher with unvented gas burning appliances in homes. Gas burning appliances include heaters, gas stoves and ovens.

Another vote to avoid interior venting appliances. Why'd you want to increase CO2 and water, and decrease oxygen in your home. And what if it does not burn right - would you notice?

Every combustion combines carbon containing compounds (C that also contains H atoms) and oxygen (O), into CO2 and H2O - and dangerous compounds when that combustion is not perfect.

Ever read to not use a propane BBQ inside a home? This is similar, but legal. I still would not do it.

We run a direct vent in one house, a vent free in the other. The direct vent is excellent, but 15% of the heat goes out the pipe. No worries about moisture or smell. That said we have neither issue with the vent free, but we keep it clean and watch for a clean burn. Absolutely no difference than running our propane stove/oven. We avoid using it at night, we’re 99% wood at that house. Tight house I would imagine moisture could be a issue, but our place is leaky and we like the increase in humidity propane provides during the winter.

We run a direct vent in one house, a vent free in the other. The direct vent is excellent, but 15% of the heat goes out the pipe. No worries about moisture or smell. That said we have neither issue with the vent free, but we keep it clean and watch for a clean burn. Absolutely no difference than running our propane stove/oven. We avoid using it at night, we’re 99% wood at that house. Tight house I would imagine moisture could be a issue, but our place is leaky and we like the increase in humidity propane provides during the winter.
Thanks for responding! Interesting that you are looking at the positive side - humidity in the dry winter! What climate is the house in? I'm up in the Boston area gets pretty cold here in the winter.

Can I ask what make and model vent free stove do you have?

Thanks again!