Question about Whitfield problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckguy

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2007
Courtenay BC, Canada
Purchased a used adv II and it seems to be fine. I have had a strange thing happen a couple of times though. After the stove has been burning
for a couple of hours, the flame will start to burn orange and lazy and the glass soots over. You can try to let more air in but it doesnt help. The first time it happened there was alot of smoke in the stove and I mistakenly opened the door and the fire flared up again. Need less to say I cant leave the stove unattended as it may happen again.Could it be the convection fan shutting down??? Any ideas on solving it would be great .It does not happen every time.
Thanks

Hi have a Model #1 of this and stop using it. The little auger motor shattered, so I never found a place that carries one in stock. Still yet to try a electronics place that can service OEM parts.

As per your lazy flame this can be a number of reasons. Mine was doing the same.

1) Be sure your burn pot is 100% clinker free. Just use your ash pan tool to clean and wire brush if needed.

2) With the stove off relight your pot and let the pellet fuel ignite and burn even with a steady flame then close door.

3) When you close the door you should see the flame begin to dance and get smaller. If it doesn't try opening and closing the damper and position it until the flame dances. You may have to unlock your damper handle with a Allen type screw wrench then reset when done.

4) Start stove and feed pellets at default setting.

5) If your burn pot is filling too rapidly you may have to adjust your pellet feed rate. On the model 1 this is a small white screw located by feed and blower LED lights and slow it down.

6) Adjust your combustible air (same as #5)

7) Trial and error with combo's #3, 5 ,6 and see if you can get it right

8) Vent with recommended stove pipe not a 6-8 flue

A final note: even with the above recommendations I still had to wipe clean my glass once a day from light to heavy soot, mostly light. These models are famous for it and not too popular.

Also Check for clogged flue and stop the pellet feed when it smokes and temporary increase the combustible fan rate to highest to burn off remaining pellets in the pot

Your combustion blower could be wearing out. I've seen a few whitfields do that. The blower works fine for a certain amount of time but then slows or completly shuts off when it warms up. Does the stove go into shut down mode? If so check the low limit switch (white ceramic mounted on combustion blower).

Status
Not open for further replies.