Question After Sweeping Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayoung31

Hearth Supporter
Mar 27, 2010
Northern Nj
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question. We swept the chimney today after using our new Hearthstone Heritage this past winter. I would say we burned about 4 1/2 cords and what came out of the chimney was brown powdery stuff. The cap was clean.

In the past with our VC Intrepid II this stuff that came out was a fine black color.

I know the Heritage is burning much cleaner than our previous stove but I've just never seen the brown stuff and wonder if thats a good thing.

Thanks for any input!

Congratulations on some clean burning. I call it mushroom powder. It's a good thing. Sounds like you are burning dry wood correctly.

Well done!

Sounds like you are doing great.

Was there very much accumulation?

pen

Brown is good.

Great job with your burns - especially with that much wood going through your stove.

Bill

Excellent. This is what we get also.

Thanks for the replys everyone...good to know we did good since it was the first year with the new stove and a learning curve.

Nancy, you are 90% on your way to being a pro now.

Excellent Nance! I hope to encounter what you did with my new stove!

Ray

Thanks Ray, Good luck with your new stove. It's kind of scary to go from somthing you've used for 18years to something new and having to learn it all over again but the fact that we only bought $100.00 in oil last winter was well worth the effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.