Question for Hearthstone Shelburne Owners or Dealers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
Some folks on the gear forum have recommended that I sweep the flue/chimney by removing the door and baffles and going up through the stove, but they don't have this stove. Have any of you done this, and if so, how do you remove the baffles? I assume the door itself just lifts off (I'm not at the cabin, so I can't check). Any other tips? Thanks...

I'll bring your post to the top. I have a heritage, and the baffle is easily removable so I brush down from the roof into the firebox after popping out the baffle. I can't see any reason to remove the door, it opens pretty wide.

Dan left out that in the gear room he was saying he wanted to clean it with a Sooteater.

BrotherBart said:
Dan left out that in the gear room he was saying he wanted to clean it with a Sooteater.

Well, I haven't bought any cleaning system yet, but since I have a 12/12 pitch roof (onto which I will not venture), I thought that a Sooteater would be easiest. Particularly when my dealer had said the flue would telescope upward for cleaning. Since I'm not at the cabin, I can't examine the flue closely, but some recommended going up through the stove, rather than telescoping the flue. Hence this post...

I have a single piece of interior stove pipe. A telescoping section of double wall. I have removed it before and it is much easier than taking the baffle out. In this day of the electric screwdriver, those three screws keeing the double wall piece extended can be out in a flash.

Highbeam said:
I have a single piece of interior stove pipe. A telescoping section of double wall. I have removed it before and it is much easier than taking the baffle out. In this day of the electric screwdriver, those three screws keeing the double wall piece extended can be out in a flash.

So, you remove the 3 screws and lift the flue? How do you keep it elevated, to get the rods/Sooteater in and clean?

Single telescoping section between stove and ceiling support box. You just collapse the telescoping piece and take it outside to brush out. The Class A above is supported by the ceiling support box. You can shove your rods and brush right up into it from the stove room but plan on the sweepings coming down the pipe.

Any Shelburne owners out there who have experience removing baffle and tubes to gain access to flue? (According to the exploded parts diagram, it looks as though the rear fire bricks and secondary air riser may need to be removed as well...that's why I'd like someone with specific Shelburne knowledge).

It's been two weeks, so I'll bump this up. I'm hoping that some Shelburne owner out there has realized that they haven't been on this forum for months and will be able to answer this from first-hand experience. Thanks...

I'd also like to hear more about removing the baffles and cleaning them.

This is the second season of 'hard to start' fires.
I don't seem to have enough air to get it running like seasons before...
Once running it's fine, but never had this problem before last season..

Burning 2 season dry oak
small splits (3")
just cleaned the flue a month ago and vac'ed out the stove (where I could reach)
Still have to leave the door handle up to get enough air...

Suggestions?

I'm wondering if you have a debris pile in the smoke path. Maybe at the flue collar? Was the flue removed from the stove when it was cleaned?

BeGreen said:
I'm wondering if you have a debris pile in the smoke path. Maybe at the flue collar? Was the flue removed from the stove when it was cleaned?

The simple answer is yes.
I have a unique install (don't we all), since I converted over a fireplace to a stone front and added my woodstove.

So my flue (from my stove) is only 4 feet long, then transitions to the masonry flue.
Makes for very interesting cleaning, but I can easily reach all the SS flue to clean (masonry is another story).

I do 'shop vac' the flue exit on the stove, so I'm not seeing a point of blockage in the flue.
Unless it's in the stove over the baffles, which I do try to vac out...

I love this site!
I can check one possibility off the list.

Does anyone clean those baffles?

Status
Not open for further replies.