Question - Installing gas starter in new wood burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtkdw

Feb 26, 2009
Virginia
The masonry guy that is building my fireplace has no experience installing a gas starter in a new wood burning fireplace. Where can I find out how easy or difficult this is? I assume I need a starter, a gas line that runs to the chimney and some sort of connecting pipe between the gas line and the starter. I can't find any resources of information on this. Incidentally, my house will have a buried propane tank (no natural gas). Any comments or resources?

I capped off our nat. gas starter the year after we moved in (10 years ago). Learn to start a fire with tinder and kindling, like it has been done for thousands of years ... or purchase firestarters at your local hardware store.

If you insist on having a gas starter, have it installed by a LICENSED PLUMBER. Don't "f" around wtih gas lines if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Most of the guys around here will tell you that building a new masonry fireplace is just an expensive detour on the way to installing a proper EPA woodstove or insert, but I used my FP 'cuz it's what is there and I can't afford a woodstove at this time.

Peace,
- Sequoia

We installed a gas starter with our new Fireplace Xtrordinaire (a zero-clearance catalytic fireplace) 10 years ago, and have gotten good service from it. We had a licensed plumber install it. I would not mess with gas lines myself. This type of fireplace provides similar heat and efficiency to an insert, and perhaps some stoves. But it isn't any cheaper, and it only is efficient with the glass doors closed. Also, it relies on electric fan to provide most of the heat, so if you lose electricity, you lose most of its heating capacity. But when we lost power this winter for a few days we opened the doors and kept a hot fire going and huddled around it! But I do find I use it more because of the convenience of the gas starter; others may find it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.