1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

question on dry trees and splitting

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Rugar, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rugar

Rugar Member

Loc:
    East central KS
    The trees I'm cutting are Osage Orange (hedge). They were dozed over six or seven years ago. The wood is perfect shape and very dry (splintery all the way through). Is splitting as necessaray as with wet wood and what size splits can I get by with. A little info on hedge is that it probably isn't what you guys are used to. To compare I believe Oak per cord is 24.5 million btu per cord and hedge is 32 million btu per cord. That info might be concidered green wood but dosen't matter. Hedge is much hotter and will burn up compleatly in a campfire allong with any glass or metel someone trough in the fire.

It's killing me to split it. An eight lb maul richoches off it several times before I can even make a crack. I'm installing an EKO 25. Currious if it fits in the door am I ok.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    You could keep it in rounds and throw it in with splits of a different wood. Aren't rounds good for overnight/extended burns?
  3. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Sounds like great stuff - if it has been down that long and is truly dry, I see no need to split it. Reasons to split:
    - to season/dry
    - to fit the stove
    - to burn faster
    If none apply, give it a try.
  4. Rugar

Rugar Member

Loc:
    East central KS
    Thanks guys. I thought that wood had to be split to make a gassification boiler work correctly. Leaving them big is a major plus for me.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Some gasifiers suggest using rounds rather than splits, IIRC. Rounds burns slower than splits of the same wood, so they may suggest it to extend the burn and keep the unit from idling.

I have osage scraps downstairs that I'll use for tool handles, etc, and burn the splinters. The wood is probably at about 6% moisture. I banged them together last night- sounded like teak. Friggin unbelievable stuff.
  6. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Unless you have a big splitter, split hedge green or not at all for me!

Once it is dry, it is hard as a rock and will trash a blade trying to cut to size.
  7. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    think of it as exercise. A good challenge. Man versus wood. You can hear it laughing at you as your maul just bounces off it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.