1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question on felling dawg on Stihl 039

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Apr 10, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hi everyone - I like my 039 a lot - runs real well and good power. But, I'm finding that the felling dawg is too small and doesn't allow enough room between the saw and the log - seems to clog quick in the cut and then bog. Any advice on a larger dawg that would fit the 039? Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Cant see the dawgs causing it to clog. Clutch cover being dirty that would cause a clog.
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Wood chips should exit from the bottom of the clutch cover, not the front. A bigger dawg might help with cloggin, but shouldn't be needed in order to prevent a clog.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    To much oil can cause the clutch housing to clog faster than normal.
    Like said, chips come out the clutch housing, not between the saw & log.
    Check the chain for sharpness & raker height.
    See if the clutch housing has a piece broken off, allowing the chips to exit in the wrong place.

Noodling can clog it fast too.
  5. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks guys - I thought a little extra room between the clutch cover and log might spread the chips a little more - wasn't sure why it was clogging - not a lot of oil and oily chips under the cover when I removed it - pretty dry. Was cleaned before I started and was still pretty clean when I stopped. Perhaps just a fluke - hasn't happened with the saw before. Thanks!
  6. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Side shoots or covers commonly cake up an all the saws that I have, especially if I am noodling rounds, at which point they shoot out the front. I have a larger side cover, commonly called a PNW side cover, on my 044 and 066 that helps prevent this. They have a larger angle cant on the side, like a German WWII helmet that allows more chips to fly down and out. Larger side covers are available on all the Stihl saws from the 361 and up. They are not available on the 290-390 saws which have plastic side covers though, and the pro ones do not fit my 310 (I have tried).
    MasterMech and smokinj like this.
  7. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks StihlHead - great info! Cheers!