Question on felling dawg on Stihl 039

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone - I like my 039 a lot - runs real well and good power. But, I'm finding that the felling dawg is too small and doesn't allow enough room between the saw and the log - seems to clog quick in the cut and then bog. Any advice on a larger dawg that would fit the 039? Thanks!

Cant see the dawgs causing it to clog. Clutch cover being dirty that would cause a clog.

Wood chips should exit from the bottom of the clutch cover, not the front. A bigger dawg might help with cloggin, but shouldn't be needed in order to prevent a clog.

To much oil can cause the clutch housing to clog faster than normal.
Like said, chips come out the clutch housing, not between the saw & log.
Check the chain for sharpness & raker height.
See if the clutch housing has a piece broken off, allowing the chips to exit in the wrong place.

Noodling can clog it fast too.

Thanks guys - I thought a little extra room between the clutch cover and log might spread the chips a little more - wasn't sure why it was clogging - not a lot of oil and oily chips under the cover when I removed it - pretty dry. Was cleaned before I started and was still pretty clean when I stopped. Perhaps just a fluke - hasn't happened with the saw before. Thanks!

Side shoots or covers commonly cake up an all the saws that I have, especially if I am noodling rounds, at which point they shoot out the front. I have a larger side cover, commonly called a PNW side cover, on my 044 and 066 that helps prevent this. They have a larger angle cant on the side, like a German WWII helmet that allows more chips to fly down and out. Larger side covers are available on all the Stihl saws from the 361 and up. They are not available on the 290-390 saws which have plastic side covers though, and the pro ones do not fit my 310 (I have tried).

Thanks StihlHead - great info! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.