Question on Fireplace Repairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cdogstu99

Feb 24, 2018
boston
I have a two family in the Boston area. The upstairs unit has a working wood fireplace that the current tenants use often.
We just had the fireplace inspected due to some concerns we had and it sounds like it is going to be a fortune to repair.

Summary - needs to rebuild the firebox with firebricks ($3300), grind and repoint entire chimney (says mortar joints in terrible condition) ($3100), New Lead Flashing ($1150), replace broken damper ($425) ---so grand total of around $8K. says the fireplace is not useable.

His other option was to close off the fireplace with red bricks along with closing the flue and adding a chimney cap, cement crown and water sealer for a cost of $2400.

We have great tenants and they love the fireplace, but $8K is a huge outlay right now for me. I could just leave as is and tell them not to use the fireplace or spend the $2400 in repairs to close it off.

Any thoughts on this? Wondering if there are any more affordable ideas out there. Since this is a rental unit, i'm hesitant to spend $8K,especially for something that is a liability anyways.

Fireplace and tenants in a rental? Um. I'd close it off and cap it myself. For peace of mind!

thanks, that's sort of what I'm thinking right now. as far as closing it off myself, for a non mason, is this something that I could do fairly easily? I'd like to make something not so permanent--i figure if i were to ever sell the house, having the fireplace as at least an option might be more attractive.

thanks, that's sort of what I'm thinking right now. as far as closing it off myself, for a non mason, is this something that I could do fairly easily? I'd like to make something not so permanent--i figure if i were to ever sell the house, having the fireplace as at least an option might be more attractive.
Sounds like good idea to me. I'd get a second opinion on temporarily closing off the fireplace or simply order a custom cut piece of tin/steel to close off/cover the fireplace opening and then cap the top of the chimney myself or if you need to pay for anything, hire the capping done. Worth a thought.