Question on Insert Thermometer Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fcwest14

Dec 20, 2015
Weston, CT
For reference I have either a H2100 or I3100L regency model insert. I am trying to figure out the best placement for the thermometer on the insert (see attached photos for where it is now). It seems to be it might not be getting a perfectly accurate reading (possibly a little cooler than it should be), so wanted to get advice on where is best to put it. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• Question on Insert Thermometer Placement
    image.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 353
For reference I have either a H2100 or I3100L regency model insert. I am trying to figure out the best placement for the thermometer on the insert (see attached photos for where it is now). It seems to be it might not be getting a perfectly accurate reading (possibly a little cooler than it should be), so wanted to get advice on where is best to put it. Thanks a ton!
It's my first season burning with the Hampton (Regency) HI300 insert and I'm also questioning the accuracy of my Condor thermometer readings? I have mine in the top/middle of the door frame where dealer said to place it. Seems to take a really long time to get to cruising temps (400 to 600) and one time had the top of the firebox glowing when the Condor was still reading 400?? So I think I'm going to pick up an IR gun (many use them on this site) and compare the readings. The HI300 has a cast iron skin around the firebox so I think that maybe why it takes longer for the Condor to register cruising temps? Nice thing about an IR gun from what I've read is you can point it at the flu collar, etc. to register the temp of the flu...which I guess can be handy.

Good to know its not just me I haven't gotten the reading past about 400 yet which makes no sense to me even when I load in 4 logs for a refuel. Anyone else know how to adjust for this? Is my placement area OK?

For the HI300, place the thermometer directly on the firebox, not the shelf or the door. The firebox is accessible where the air from the blower comes out. It makes it tough to read the temperature, but not impossible.

What about for me? Check the picture out and is that the best placement? Also, any thoughts on if it would be running cold for any reason?

Yes, that is as good a placement location as any. It may read a bit cooler, especially with the blower on. Turn it off for an hour to see if that makes a difference.

Yes, that is as good a placement location as any. It may read a bit cooler, especially with the blower on. Turn it off for an hour to see if that makes a difference.

I thought you mentioned it could be as much as 100-150 degrees cooler, is that correct with this setup? I haven't seemed to have gotten the temps higher than 475-500 even with 4 decent logs just loaded. Shouldn't I be able to get it up to 600+ degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.