Question On Jotul 8 Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GearHd6

Jun 8, 2008
Northeast, CT
I was just looking at the back of my mid 80's non cat Jotul 8 at the clearance requirements. It says the stove has to be 36" away from the wall behind it, is there anyway around that by using some sort of heatsheild or something? Otherwise thats going to put the stove WAY out in my room. Thanks for any advice. Jeff.

I believe you can reduce that to 18" I believe (gang is that right?) by using an NFPA 211 approved wall shield and shielded single wall pipe or double wall flue pipe.

Was there a heat shield designed to go onto the back of the Jotul 8? I've done some searching around and can't really find much info on the stove at all. I can't even track down a factory manual on the stove. I figured for sure Ebay would have something but no luck.
Thanks.

If you follow NFPA 211 guidelines for unlisted stoves you can reduce the clearances by 66% or 33% depending on your choice of wall shield. I believe a 4" brick wall with a breathable 1" air gap behind it gets you the 66% reduction (min of 12"). So that would put you at 12". For that you would have to use double wall pipe or the single wall with a heat shield of some sort. Normal single wall pipe I believe has 18" clearance. I am remembering all this, don't have the code book at home so correct me if I'm wrong.

I just stopped down at the town hall here and I think i'm going to put a heat shield on the wall. That'll get me 18" from the wall which is much better than the original 36". I'd like to locate an original Jotul heat shield to mount right on the back of the stove but i'm unsure if one was ever even made. I think that would look much better than a shield mounted to the wall but I guess I can always just spackle the screw holes later if I get a different stove and no longer need the wall mounted shield.

The problem you would have is if you had a Jotul heat shield without the manual saying what the reduced clearances were using it the inspector would still default to the NFPA 36" or reduction by putting up a wall shield code.

BrotherBart said:
The problem you would have is if you had a Jotul heat shield without the manual saying what the reduced clearances were using it the inspector would still default to the NFPA 36" or reduction by putting up a wall shield code.

Yeah thats what I kinda thought would happen thats why I was hunting for a manual. Maybe one will turn up somewhere before install time is here. I've still got to round up all the pipe and hardware so i've got some time to hunt around still.

Status
Not open for further replies.