Question on Pipe Size.!! Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
I have a CDW264CCL stove with a 6" flue size. Getting ready to install it in my pole barn. I'm going to go straight up with it through the roof, because it's easier for my situation. Now my question is do I use a 6 inch or 8 inch pipe system through the roof in the case that possibly one day I might go bigger with stove. I'm wanting to put 8" but dont want to have any draft issues out of the dutchwest stove. I would just run 6" to the bottom of truss then adapt to 8" and go on up with the triple wall pipe. Any insight or weather this will cause any issues??? Thank you in advance

I don't have any first hand experience with running two different size pipes for a flue, but I do have a good understanding of how exhaust gasses behave as they exit a chimney. The hot gasses cool on the way up, which in turn slows them down. If you switch from 6" to 8" pipe at the top of your stack as you indicated it seems like you would be slowing down the smoke even more up near the top with the bigger pipe. This will likely cause more creosote to build up in that section of your stack. Will you have easy access to the top of your flue for cleaning? I don't really see a good reason to think you will need an 8" flue in the future if you change stoves for something bigger. I have a Jotul F600 with a 3.0 cu. ft. fire box and it uses a 6" flue. Unless you already have a specific stove in mind for later that requires an 8" flue I would recommend you just run 6" all the way and deal with a change over later if that scenario plays out.

Unless you are planning on going for a stove with a larger than 3.5 cu ft stick with the 6".

I don't have a specific stove in mind I'm just trying to save my self some $ down the road if I went to 8". The barn is 1200 sq ft and 10 ft ceilings. So you think even with a new style stove to heaty area. 6" all the way should be fine

Yes, that's not a huge area, especially if it's insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.