Question on stove pipe clearance?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeyeyes

Sep 13, 2008
I want to run my single wall stove pipe up the wall and out the roof, I will have a stone wall behind it, can you tell me what the clearance between the stove pipe and the stone wall has to be? Thanks.........

How thick is the stone, and what's behind it? Rick

Three or four inches thick I dont know what will be behind it yet I am building the house. Whatever I need behind it I will.

If it's a framed wall structure (combustible) behind the stone, and the stone is built right against the wood framing, then the stone wall gives you about a 33% allowable reduction in clearance, so the single-wall stovepipe could run 12" (instead of 18") from the combustibles, or about 8" away from the stone. How close are you wanting it to be? If you build that wall so it's stone throughout to daylight, with no combustibles involved at all, then you have no minimum clearance requirement. It'll have to stand off from the wall at least a few inches, because the ceiling box you're going to need where you transition from stovepipe to Class A chimney pipe takes up about a 10" x 10" footprint, whether it's square or round. Rick

The fundamental question is, is the wall combustable or not? If the stone is structural, or the walls are cinderblock etc.... Then you can let that thing get as close as you'd like to the wall.......

Double walled stovepipe is the way to go if you need smaller clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.