Question on why Jotel is smoking out the front

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrowne

Jan 27, 2010
SW Michigan
Our Jotul that is 9 years old has suddenly begun smoking out the front when just the screen is in place. We have the chimney cleaned every year so unsure why this is suddenly happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is your chimney cap clogged?(can happen quite quickly under the right conditions) Are you burning in warmer weather than usual? (this can have a negative effect on draft). Just a couple of thoughts. I'm sure others will be along to offer other/better suggestions.
Joe

That makes perfect sense. I've been reading more on these sites since I posted the question and I think you are on target about the chimney cap. Also we have had a warming trend here in Michigan. That has not been a factor in the past, however. One thing I have learned reading these posts is that we are probably not burning our fires hot enough. I tend to dampen down the stove to make the wood last longer but that may be causing more creosote than I realized especially this year. Thanks for you reply.

No problem and welcome to the forum. I have 2 Jotuls and while both draft well, on a warm day a little smoke spillage can occur with the door open.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.