Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
All right I know what some are going to say. ( leave it alone).
So if thats all you have to say please don't reply.
But I see room for improvement.
The Equinox has a ash pan clean-out that I have no desire to use.
I removed the cast iron grates & I am now left with a 17x17 x 6 cast iron ash pit.

I just so happen to have two 12 x 12 slabs of soapstone, that fit nicely into that void.
My plan is to partially fill the ash pit with sand , maybe an inch or two.
The sand will bring the soap stone slabs up to about 2 inches below the existing burn chamber.

My theory is the sand will allow the 3 inch thick slab of soapstone to absorb the heat from the coals without transferring to the cast iron ash pit.
In return giving off heat back into the fire box for a more complete burn & easier restarting the fire in the morning.

Do you think it will work? How can I make it even better?
thanks ,doug

:zip: .

doug60 said:
All right I know what some are going to say. ( leave it alone).
So if thats all you have to say please don't reply.
But I see room for improvement.
The Equinox has a ash pan clean-out that I have no desire to use.
I removed the cast iron grates & I am now left with a 17x17 x 6 cast iron ash pit.

I just so happen to have two 12 x 12 slabs of soapstone, that fit nicely into that void.
My plan is to partially fill the ash pit with sand , maybe an inch or two.
The sand will bring the soap stone slabs up to about 2 inches below the existing burn chamber.

My theory is the sand will allow the 3 inch thick slab of soapstone to absorb the heat from the coals without transferring to the cast iron ash pit.
In return giving off heat back into the fire box for a more complete burn & easier restarting the fire in the morning.

Do you think it will work? How can I make it even better?
thanks ,doug

Doug, the stove companies have engineers to try to 'improve' things. Your Equinox comes in its current configuration for a reason. I'm not telling you to leave it alone, but at least take this into consideration before modding $4K stove.

[

Doug, the stove companies have engineers to try to 'improve' things. Your Equinox comes in its current configuration for a reason. I'm not telling you to leave it alone, but at least take this into consideration before modding $4K stove.[/quote]

All of the mods can be easily returned to stock configuration.
IMO the stove company sacrificed efficiency for marketing.
The ash draw is to say it has one. For marketing appeal.
Engineers are forced to work in restrained limits.
Do a search on the ash draw, & you will see 100% agreement ,its more trouble than its worth.

I did kind of the same thing with my old Homestead. I didn't like the ash pan, it was easier to just shovel the ashes out. I slid the two big slabs of soapstone over the hole and used firebricks to fill the other gaps. Worked just fine.

^well there ya go doug...it seems like a good idea to me if you're tired of dicking with an ash pan.

All you are doing is creating insulation. Just let the ash fill the pan up to the grate and forget it is there. It will hold heat just as well as the compressed talcum powder.

With a 775 pound stove another couple of pieces of soapstone on the floor of the firebox is a fart in a wind storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.