question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
When do the bugs go away? I want to stack wood on my front porch but am thinking to wait until the first frost. Is that when the bugs will be gone?

I would wait until 20 degrees for a couple of nights.

Most likely the first hard frost.

Thanks guys, I'm in Michigan, the way the weathers been that should be soon, no spring or fall lately...

Bugs...........interesting topic.........the spiders seem to like creating their egg sacks around my "other" refrigerator in the garage! I only hope they stay away from my 1/2 cord, stacked about 6 Feet away from there!!

I started wondering this morning, how I'm gonna keep MOST of the bugs outa the house this year.

-Soupy1957

ggans said:
When do the bugs go away? I want to stack wood on my front porch but am thinking to wait until the first frost. Is that when the bugs will be gone?

Strange summer up here in northern new york, we had deer flies for two weeks then nothing since, the mosquitos have not been around during the day time and the black flies, they treat the streams every year.

zap

zapny said:
ggans said:

Strange summer up here in northern new york, we had deer flies for two weeks then nothing since, the mosquitos have not been around during the day time and the black flies, they treat the streams every year.

zap

The no-seeums(gnats) were out in force last night. Got me to realize that we really have not had a lot of bugs this summer. Normally we can't sit outside much after dusk for being eaten alive by the mosquitos but this summer has been very enjoyable on the deck. We did seem to have more fireflys than normal which we enjoy at night.

We bring about a weeks worth of wood in at a time but I won't even think about it until a good hard frost....even then the warmth of the basement seems to "wake up" a few of them. My wife seems anxious to start up the boiler...had a few chilly nights recently and she was ready to bring in some wood! Funny how when we paid for oil we would wait as long as we could before even thinking about starting the boiler but now that we have very low cost wood(mostly scrounged) she's ready to let 'er rip!

I don't plan to fill my deck rack until after we get a good freeze.

Of course that does put a bit of a catch-22 in place as when we get that good freeze I'll certainly want to burn a fire eh? I do plan to fill the indoor rack with enough for a few days burning but I'll be very picky about the splits and only bring in the best/most clean ones that I can find in hopes of avoiding any that have good spaces for the critters to hide in (i.e. any that have lots of partial splits/cracks in them will stay out for now). I don't know if that will help me or not but we'll see...

I don't really know when the bugs are dead or in hiding . . . I know I generally wait for the first few frosts before I load up my "Weekly" Wood Rack on the outside covered porch and it isn't until late Fall that I am bringing in wood for the WoodBox. With the early season fires I simply go outside and get whatever wood I am using and load it right into the stove.

Hey Jake - maybe your signature fits this thread too - “I’m with Quads—just whack the sucker!” :)

Slow1 said:
Hey Jake - maybe your signature fits this thread too - “I’m with Quads—just whack the sucker!” :)

:) :) :) :)

I think you're right!

I wait for a few few freezing nights before I load the front porch rack. Until then I bring up a wheelbarrow load at a time and keep it in the wheelbarrow, only bringing a load at a time into the house. I figure that the bugs will stay in there with the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.