Questionable Tempwood installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I was looking at a house with a friend so he could get a second oppinion on some issues he found. While looking around I saw a woodstove in the livingroom. I took a closer look and noticed it was a Tempwood stove. Before I go any further I want to say I don't know much about woodstove installations but I saw that the stove was in front of the fireplace on the fireplace hearth and covering the opening of the fireplace( 25x36) was a piece of sheet metal with a 6" opening with the 6" stovepipe inserted through it and a 90 pointing up. I asked the homeowner if this installation was up to code. He said he has burned wood with this set up for 20 years and never had a problem. He said he cleans the chimney twice a year. Does this set up sound ok. Like I said I don't know much about woodstove set ups. Any advice or opinions would be very helpful.

There's a big difference between "ok" and up to code. Will it work, well, it has. Would it pass Elk's eye, not in a second. Any worthy insurance agent would raise an eyebrow too.

I would just advise your friend that if he's interested in the house, to be more concerned with the structure of the house and chimney. He should expect to replace the stove with a current clean burning unit and most likely line the chimney with a proper block off plate and legal hearth extension.

mattg1970 said:
I was looking at a house with a friend so he could get a second oppinion on some issues he found. While looking around I saw a woodstove in the livingroom. I took a closer look and noticed it was a Tempwood stove. Before I go any further I want to say I don't know much about woodstove installations but I saw that the stove was in front of the fireplace on the fireplace hearth and covering the opening of the fireplace( 25x36) was a piece of sheet metal with a 6" opening with the 6" stovepipe inserted through it and a 90 pointing up. I asked the homeowner if this installation was up to code. He said he has burned wood with this set up for 20 years and never had a problem. He said he cleans the chimney twice a year. Does this set up sound ok. Like I said I don't know much about woodstove set ups. Any advice or opinions would be very helpful.

Does the "90 pointing up" connect to anything, or is it just attempting to shoot the smoke up the chimney? If it doesn't connect to a liner it is emphatically NOT compliant with current codes, and could be a potential safety hazard. It probably also violates the cross sectional area so it does not draft as well as it could, giving less efficient burns and more creosote buildup - he probably HAS to clean it 2X / year. BG is quite correct in saying the main concern should be about the condition of the chimney, and the absolute need to at least put in a proper liner and block off plate, and desirability of replacing the stove with something more modern. Given the non-standard install, I'd bet his hearth doesn't meet code either - I'd ask if the stove install was ever permitted and inspected?

At the very least, you should tell your friend that the current stove and setup should be considered a negative to beat the price down with, not a positive selling point (I.E. the need to pay for getting it fixed properly to be safe and legal... It's possible that this might even have to be done in order to get the insurance / financing signed off...

Gooserider

Actually, the unit is fairly well installed considering the age!

To catch up to even older code, the upward pipe should be stainless steel (lasts almost forever), and the block-off plate below the damper will help your draft also. Given newer code (which was not in force when that stove was bought or installed), it is probable that the chimney would need to be lined all the way up with stainless steel - this is because it is probably too large for the stove.....

So, in summary, it does not sound like a special issue in the house being as it was installed somewhat correctly for the time - BUT, if the house was looked at to be purchased and in light of current codes the chimney does need to be addressed.....most importantly, inspected to see if tar creosote has built up and if there have been any large chimney fires (cracked tiles, etc.).... a pretty good job can be done from the top with a flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.