Questioning Original Wood Stove Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
If you choose to check out this thread - Attempted Blaze King Install Today…No Go - you can see the issue that has prompted this question. The yellow square shows where we originally wanted to place the stove, but resulted in pipe routing issues...as noted in the above referenced thread. My wife does not like any of the rerouting options.

I doubt this is a good idea, but...I'm wondering about the practicality of placing the Blaze King in one of these 2 locations, as shown by the red squares.

The bad:
The Sun Room does have a cathedral ceiling...which will likely trap most of the heat.
The stove will not be centrally located within the house.

The good:
The stove is equipped with the fan option.
The Sun Room does have a ceiling fan.
This location will permit a straight up install of the 8" pipe.
Minimized tracking, because the wood will be placed just outside the Sun Room door.

My wife does not want the stove placed against the bathroom wall because it would make the stove the focal point of the living room and place the stove on "center stage".

Go ahead and critique this thought I'm having...

EDIT:
An after thought...what if the stove was placed in the "option 1" spot, with the front of the stove facing the living room doorway? Since the stove has a fan, would enough heat get into the rest of the house being that close to the living room door?

Attachments

• Current House-3.jpg
    Current House-3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 517
What's wrong with the stove as the focal point??

I would sure try to get the stove in the living room if at all possible unless the sun room has really good air flow in and out. Also, does the sun room have a lower roof than the rest of the house? That might be an issue if it does, especially with the prevailing winds.

cmonSTART said:
Also, does the sun room have a lower roof than the rest of the house? That might be an issue if it does, especially with the prevailing winds.

The gutter level is the same level as the rest of the house. Although, the peak of the Sun Room roof is half way up to the peak of the main house roof.

Option 2 in the sun room is preferred since the prevailing winds will assist the draft.
Plus the sun room will be a neat place to put it with all the windows.
Also more windows will usually allow for more air to be pulled in further assisting the draft.
And that room was probably your coolest room based on its location and windows, now it will truly be 4 seasons even on the coldest day.
You have a good stove and it has a blower so it should distribute the heat enough for 90% of that floor.

Can you tell I have my stove on my sun porch?
:)

If you do install it in the sun room, make sure the chimney is nice and tall otherwise you may get some wind induced down drafts. It all depends on the house I guess.

Ratman said:
Option 2 in the sun room is preferred since the prevailing winds will assist the draft.
Plus the sun room will be a neat place to put it with all the windows.
Also more windows will usually allow for more air to be pulled in further assisting the draft.
And that room was probably your coolest room based on its location and windows, now it will truly be 4 seasons even on the coldest day.
You have a good stove and it has a blower so it should distribute the heat enough for 90% of that floor.

Can you tell I have my stove on my sun porch?
:)

The sun room was built fairly tight. I have the central HVAC system ducted into this room and it stays as comfortable as the rest of the house...even in the worst winter and summer days. But, I agree with what you're saying about the windows allowing more air in for the draft...if there is going to be leakage anywhere, it will be at windows and doors.

cmonSTART said:
What's wrong with the stove as the focal point??

It's a Blaze King.

Just kidding. ;-P

With the cathedral ceiling in the sun room, you're always gonna be fighting to get heat out of there into the rest of the house. Some folks might say that our stove is the "focal point" of our great room. Fine with me...it's an appliance in our home that's at least as important to our comfort as any other, and its location is important to its function (unlike a refrigerator, or something, that can go anywhere). We think it looks just fine right where it is. (Ignore the Shopvac...fixin' to clean that flue from the bottom up). Rick

ETA: Dang...gotta dust the tops of those fan blades. :shut:

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 441
Place wife on plane to the Bahamas. Install stove in proper location (bathroom wall). Have her return after it gets cold outside.

Here's my vote.

Attachments

• Current-House-3.jpg
    Current-House-3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 415
fossil said:
With the cathedral ceiling in the sun room, you're always gonna be fighting to get heat out of there into the rest of the house. Some folks might say that our stove is the "focal point" of our great room. Fine with me...it's an appliance in our home that's at least as important to our comfort as any other, and its location is important to its function (unlike a refrigerator, or something, that can go anywhere). We think it looks just fine right where it is. (Ignore the Shopvac...fixin' to clean that flue from the bottom up). Rick

ETA: Dang...gotta dust the tops of those fan blades. :shut:

Nice home...with that layout I wouldn't mind if the stove was the focal point...it fits perfectly. I have to agree with my wife...where she wants it in the living room is a spot that otherwise goes unused. So, it is a logical location. Although, the bathroom wall would be more efficient...but it would also take up space in the living room that we do currently use.

Yeah, the cathedral ceiling is my biggest concern about the sun room idea. While ease of chimney cleaning is a thought, it is not the driving factor behind the consideration to relocate.

Offsetting the pipe, to the left, within the living room, would result in the pipe passing in front of the sun room doorway. Offsetting the pipe, to the right, within the living room, will require removing/relocating an HVAC vent and a ceiling speaker...not a major issue, but more work and expense.

Going through the wall with the pipe, into the sun room, will result in covering one of the HVAC vents in the sun room...relocating that vent probably won't be an option. Also, the enclosure around the pipe in the sun room will be in an odd location on that wall.

As you can see, aesthetics is important to my wife.

The green square in BG's diagram is exactly where your stove belongs. Rick

BeGreen said:
Place wife on plane to the Bahamas. Install stove in proper location (bathroom wall). Have her return after it gets cold outside.

Here's my vote.

If I sent her to the Bahamas she never return...hhhmmmm :)

Your option 1 is the most obvious and efficient, but creates logistics problems with our living room layout...which will be very difficult to change due to entertainment center wiring.

Your option 2 will not work due to kitchen cabinets, counter and island.

Your option 3 will not work because the main HVAC duct work passes directly above that spot.

I appreciate the input though.

fossil said:
The green square in BG's diagram is exactly where your stove belongs. Rick

I agree completely...it was my original choice too. Then my wife was consulted and I felt her idea was a better fit for our living room layout.

The green square is doable, but will stick way out into our usable living space and interfere with traffic patterns.

Although, it may come to that if the consensus is the sun room won't work. I was hoping I could place the stove in the sun room, close to the sun room / living room door, with the fan blowing toward the door, would help the situation enough to make it work.

fdegree said:
Offsetting the pipe, to the left, within the living room, would result in the pipe passing in front of the sun room doorway. Offsetting the pipe, to the right, within the living room, will require removing/relocating an HVAC vent and a ceiling speaker...not a major issue, but more work and expense.

What about offsetting the pipe into the room (neither left or right). Would that clear the valley?
How high is the ceiling? Could the offset be higher so that it doesn't cross the doorway? ( a photo or two would help here)

As you can see, aesthetics is important to my wife.

Perhaps get a good looking stove she won't mind being the focal point? <ducking for cover> :lol:

Maybe a woodstove just isn't a good fit for your home/lifestyle. It's not for everyone, or every home. Rick

BeGreen said:
What about offsetting the pipe into the room (neither left or right). Would that clear the valley?
How high is the ceiling? Could the offset be higher so that it doesn't cross the doorway? ( a photo or two would help here)

Perhaps get a good looking stove she won't mind being the focal point? <ducking for cover> :lol:

It never occurred to me to offset into the room.

This is purely a guess, but I think it may extend too far into the room in order to clear the valley. Because the current, straight up roof penetration puts it just on the sun room side of the valley, yet still slightly in the valley. So, due to the length of the valley and trying to get the pipe to the house side of the valley may result in it offsetting quite a few feet into the room.

I agree it is an ugly stove. Although, painting it has helped some.

fossil said:
Maybe a woodstove just isn't a good fit for your home/lifestyle. It's not for everyone, or every home. Rick

I'm too heavily invested to turn back now. Plus, we do have options that will work...we just need to be willing to accept the compromises.

My main reason for this thread was to get input on the sun room thoughts...although all of the other suggestions are greatly appreciated...some things were presented that I never thought about.

Sounds like you and your wife have talked this out in detail and picked the best location. So now it is just a matter of figuring out the best offset for the flue. An offset can be at any angle that works. If there is an HVAC vent at dead right, then come 30 degrees into the room to avoid it.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you and your wife have talked this out in detail and picked the best location. So now it is just a matter of figuring out the best offset for the flue. An offset can be at any angle that works. If there is an HVAC vent at dead right, then come 30 degrees into the room to avoid it.

Once again, something I hadn't thought about. For some reason my mind only seems to come up with ideas that are perpendicular and parallel to walls and ceilings. Yet, after you suggest another option, it seems so obvious.

Thanks for your input...it opens up other options that we never considered...I appreciate it.

+1 for cmonStart's comment...........convince your wife that having the wood stove as a focal point is appropriate and highly desirable.

I vote for the green dot location.

-Soupy1957

Can you build a small chase so that you can offset through the wall into the sunroom? It would both hide the offset and deal with the perpendicular through the wall issue. No 90s required. I designed and installed an 8" class A that offset through an exterior wall like this. A pair of 30s with a 3 ft section in between worked nicely through the old 2x6 exterior wall.

SolarAndWood said:
Can you build a small chase so that you can offset through the wall into the sunroom? It would both hide the offset and deal with the perpendicular through the wall issue. No 90s required. I designed and installed an 8" class A that offset through an exterior wall like this. A pair of 30s with a 3 ft section in between worked nicely through the old 2x6 exterior wall.

I have to say, I am so glad that you guys are here on this forum...you all keep coming up with ideas that just don't seem to be popping into my head.

This is certainly a possibility. Upon initial consideration, my only concern is in a year or two, we were going to cover the wall, behind the stove, with some stone work. Although, the stone will only go up the wall about 5 feet, with a mantel on top. So, it still may work...depending on how high up on the wall the pipe penetration is.

What about in the corner of the living room on the bath-2 wall or will that also interfere with the A/V set up?

As for the yellow dot, assuming you have a table in the eating area, and other furniture in the living area....the stove as the tie between the two room I would think would be less than aesthetically pleasing. I think that a stove is my default a focal point because it is an object that stands alone off set from things around it 9for obvious safety reasons). So you may want to minimize its presence in the room by having it to the side, but I think it will still draw attention...but to an awkward area that is in between spaces. Get a cardboard box and clear the area where your pad would be and put the box on there. Maybe that will change the aesthetic opinions.

fdegree said:
SolarAndWood said:

I have to say, I am so glad that you guys are here on this forum...you all keep coming up with ideas that just don't seem to be popping into my head.

This is certainly a possibility. Upon initial consideration, my only concern is in a year or two, we were going to cover the wall, behind the stove, with some stone work. Although, the stone will only go up the wall about 5 feet, with a mantel on top. So, it still may work...depending on how high up on the wall the pipe penetration is.

The stone shouldn't be a problem, you want to go straight up from the stove with stove pipe for at least 3 ft anyway.

A short stack on the windward side of the house might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.