Questioning Original Wood Stove Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eujamfh said:
What about in the corner of the living room on the bath-2 wall or will that also interfere with the A/V set up?

The way the sun room roof ties into the rest of the house we would end up with the same roof valley problems in that corner...and yes that is where the A/V set up is located

eujamfh said:
As for the yellow dot, assuming you have a table in the eating area, and other furniture in the living area....the stove as the tie between the two room I would think would be less than aesthetically pleasing. I think that a stove is my default a focal point because it is an object that stands alone off set from things around it 9for obvious safety reasons). So you may want to minimize its presence in the room by having it to the side, but I think it will still draw attention...but to an awkward area that is in between spaces. Get a cardboard box and clear the area where your pad would be and put the box on there. Maybe that will change the aesthetic opinions.

We did that 6 months ago and determined it would work best with our layout

Thanks for the input though.

I completely agree that placing the wood stove in the living area someplace is the best choice, and my wife and I are still discussing the various options...she may even be coming around to placing it on the bath room wall...maybe :roll: But, I am curious about everyone's opinion on this thought.

If the stove were placed anywhere along the back wall of the sun room, so the stove fan can blow toward the living room door, which is a 6' wide cased opening, would we get sufficient heat in the bed rooms? There is a ceiling fan in the sun room, living room and each of the bed rooms...if this helps. I do worry the cathedral ceiling (which is 13' at the peak) will trap the heat and it won't get to the bed rooms. Although, the bed rooms being a few degrees cooler is not a problem...but I don't want them to be 10 or more degrees cooler.

Thoughts?

A lot of heat comes off the top of these stoves and can be moved by the blower deck. In fact, I bet with the blowers on high that the majority of the heat would go through the door into the living room if pointed that way. However, sucking the heat off with the blowers results in a higher burn rate which may or may not be problematic for you in milder temperatures AND the blowers are anything but quiet.

While I originally thought the same as BeGreen . . . the green square being the ideal placement for this stove I think I would listen to your wife in this case and try to find a way for the stove to work in your first location in the living room since one must realize that for some folks having a woodstove may be great, but you still need to consider the space it "eats" up with the hearth and of course existing items in the home. I know this better than many since my wife and I ended up taking down a wall and putting a new wall up since she didn't want to lose as much space to the stove, but realized that the best location would be where the stove is presently located.

While some folks may say the goal of having a woodstove should not be to have that Martha Stewart-like home, but rather a home heated well and inexpensively with woodhead, I can see both sides . . . and believe with some work you will be able to make the original spot work which would be a good compromise for both you and your wife.

I will say though that I do agree with others in the fact that the woodstove does become a focal point -- which can be good or bad. While some folks may not see it as a focal point, guests who come into our house naturally find themselves drawn to the fire -- the heat, the movement of the flames, the sound, etc. . . . heck, I find myself turning off the TV oftentimes since there is a real appeal to watching the fire . . . which reminds me . . . as much as I like my large screen plasma TV to tell the truth I find its visual appeal is no where near as nice as the woodstove (with or without a fire) . . . maybe it's just me but I find it funny that some folks who get hung up on the focal point of a woodstove are OK with a 3 foot wide, blank rectangle sitting in their room as the focal point.

Well, I think we have it a ll worked out...finally

I originally wanted the stove placed where BG has his green square on my floor plan. Well, about 6 months ago I taped the outline, of the stove location and hearth location, on the floor of the living room in that same location. My wife was vehemently against it at that time. Now just 2 days ago I taped the outline on the floor again...but this time I actually rearranged the furniture to accommodate the stove placement, and I placed an old school desk, that is about the same size as the stove, in that spot. This way my wife had an actual visual of the final result...sort of. This made all of the difference in the world. Now she is fine with placing the stove against the bath room wall...as suggested by nearly everyone here.

Now, I just have to get put back on the installers schedule.

Thanks for everyones help on this...I will post pics after it is installed.

Yay! Give her a hug from all of us and tell her she gets the best fireview from the kitchen.

Good deal Fdegree . . . and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.