Questions about burning/seasoning my Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric-holmes

Mar 29, 2014
Arkansas
I cut and split some oak over the summer. Not exactly sure what kind, I think it was Live Oak. When I try to burn it, it seems to burn real low and slow. My moisture reader says the splits are anywhere between 16-18%. I thought that was low enough to burn. Does it have to season for longer or do you burn it solely based on the moisture content?

Fireplace is an FPX 36 Elite.

Eric

Your oak inside is probably over 35% moisture at least. I had oak seasoned for a year and it's still over 28%

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Probably still high in moisture . I have oak split twards the end of last winter and when freshly split it reads 21-23% .

Something else that hasnt been mentioned. Tonight take the split in the house and warm it to room temperature before you split it tomorrow. Moisture meters give best results when wood is around 70 f.

"Wainwright63, post: 2011453, member: 45151"]While we are on the subject, does anyone have a time frame for seasoning honey locust? I assume its similar to oak but not sure.
Just slightly shorter, probably 2 years is optimal vs. 3 for oak.

Reactions: Wainwright63
Not sure is you are doing this or not, but if you resplit the wood at take a reading it will be more accurate. Oak drys quick on the outside. But locks it inside for a while.

X2

Both those two types will burn better with longer seasoning times I have locust two years old that burns great but the three year stuff is like coal stove turned all the way down still burns you out of house give it time it's worth the wait

Does it have to season for longer or do you burn it solely based on the moisture content?
You can judge the wood solely on moisture (well that and it's burning lousy) but you do have to take that reading correctly. As stated above, room temp on a fresh split along the grain.

I have 6 cords of red and white oak that I cut last March and immediately split, stacked, and put under my tractor ports. Some gets more sun that others but it is all covered and open. The red oak still measures a good 28-30% moisture on the inside and the white oak is similar. However, some of the smaller splits are in the 18-20% range. I hate to say it but I am burning it all right now and it is just fine, especially when mixed into the bone dry locust I have. I find the best way to get really dry oak in a time effective manner is to find a reputable logger or lumber place that kiln dries it and delivers it by the cord. It may cost a bit more than your standard Craigslist Firewood but it is well worth it and still a fraction of the cost of any other type of heating fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.