Questions after Opel 3 first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very good looking installation twerner. See if you can stock up on some split doug fir now. If you stack it top covered and off the ground it should be ok for burning in fall. That is assuming at some point soon it stops raining.

Last edited:
To the OP twerner, BKVP is an exec at Blaze King, so you may consider him an expert source about cat stoves.

That is assuming at some point soon it stops raining.
Good luck, so far it's stopped raining for two hours now. Anyway, there are some readily available species that could be ready for next season including alder, fir and pine. The denser hardwoods like oak takes much longer. Cut, split and stack properly and you should be good for next year. In our area, I especially like alder for it's availability, relatively fast drying and ease of splitting. It's not the highest BTU rating, but the other factors trump that IMO until you have more drying time for more dense species.

Last edited:
T
To the OP twerner, BKVP is an exec at Blaze King, so you may consider him an expert source about cat stoves.
Thank you Sprinter. I will look into this unit next week at Hearth Expo in New Orleans and see what I can learn.

I'm hoping this is my last question for a while... do you guys know if it's possible to get this fireplace hot enough to clear off the blackened glass? Seems no matter what I get quite a bit of blackening that I've been cleaning off with stove glass cleaner and paper towel. I've read that good hot fires will burn it off but I'm starting to question that or maybe it's difficult with cedar. Good news is the chimney contractor finished installing the bottom louver so everything is complete (yeah!)

Attachments

• complete.png
    complete.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 198
I don't know about this particular stove, but it seems like black windows are a way of life for many cat stoves like the Blaze King. Other cat owners can maybe offer suggestions to help.

I kind of remember someone in a very early post saying that they should come with a gross of razor blades (or something like that).

Last edited:
Mine always appears alongside the door opening, just the one side around the handle (see picture).

Attachments

• black_glass.jpg
    black_glass.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 193
Tweeter,

I spoke with the owner of the company and showed him your images and concerns. He stated someone from their company would respond.

I did my part.

BKVP

Thanks BKVP. Because it's so new, the installer (All American Chimney) is coming out this Friday to check it out, remove the rust, and inspect for leak. He thinks moisture got in there when they had it or during chimney installation. Really appreciate it. Our last living room fire started from a rusted fireplace so we're a little sensitive to the subject of rust and fireplaces. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.